A first 4 me

tomturkey

Heard and saw a Detroit Diesel in a Massey-Ferguson tractor today. NOW I know why they call them a screaming Detroit!!! You were not safe from hearing damage 75 feet away. Did a great job pulling the plow, but boy are they LOUD. gobble

They claim those things have more power with a muffler, but try to tell the insecure crowd who have to prove something by trying to make noise.

in replacing the muffler on my 1900 oliver,in order to use a muffler I already had that had a smaller inlet, I used an adapter to make the smaller muffler work. Think it was about a1/4 smaller. Seemed to quiet it down abit. It has a ratty old cab on it, Lundeen I think in the brand. took it off once to work on the hydralics, Thought I would leave it off cause it was falling apart. had to put it back on cause you couldn't stand the noise even with a good muffler. I'm sure it has been a major contributor to my poor hearing, but I still love that tractor.

im not a d.d. fan. i drove 1 4070a ihc and 2 k 100 kenworths n 1 astro 95 gmc with screamin jimmys. in winter they get cold when your in cold country n have to let em run while you sleep,noise im sure has lowered my hearing sensitivity. they drip oil low power compared to same hp cummins.
but they sure turn heads

those old hill sniffers were a gutless wonder for pulling hills and such on the road. Never let the throttle off the floor except to shift gears then back to the floor just to keep going. Dorve a 4070B with a 350 DD on a 13 speed hauling beats to Carollton for 5 falls and then again from Reece for one year. Always with DD no Cummins or Cats those DD were cheap power for that. Want noise get a V12 to run.

Those old detroit's were good for 2 things. Leaking oil and converting fuel to noise. RB

While some like to put them down it seems to me that if they were that bad thousands and thousands of them would not have been in use in many different applications over the years. And thousands helped in WWII in landing craft of many different sizes and in other applications too.

The higher ups at MF didn't like the idea of selling those large tractors like the 98 and 97. They said the weight transfer of the Ferguson System eliminated the need for a large tractor.

Ran a cab over Peterbuilt with a 8V92 NA motor and 13 speed transmission. If you knew how to run them they got the job done just fine. Some of the other trucks had 350 Cummins and one had a Cat 1693TA. All were 13 speeds.

Vito

amen. take 5 screws out of govenor cover,remove spring,cut off half a coil,screw er back together n watch er run then. 1/2 coil off gave you about 2600 rpm
reason so many were sold,they were CHEEP. plus most truck builders offered d.d. power as standard engine. i decided anybody too cheep to pay $350. to get a smooth stout cummins was too cheep to be in buisness.
i want to get there not spend eternity to go 500 miles n wear shifter out in a hundred thousand miles

Since both governors employ pressure springs, I fail to see how shortening any of them can change the performance, unless you were trying to slow it down. The governor springs in either governor style cannot be accessed through the top cover. You can see it, you cant do anything with it. Cutting the spring is an exceedingly stupid idea anyway, since all one has to do to alter the high idle is change the number of washers between the spring and the seat, while holding the cartridge assembly in the hand. Seems to be quite a bit lacking in your understanding of Detroit governors.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back