A major life milestone for me

jon f mn

The carb on my DC has been acting up lately and getting worse, til it finally wouldn't run t all. In the past if I worked on a carb it was always worse after I was done than before. So I was reluctant to take it off. But cattle needed hay, so I gave it a try. Took it off and split it apart and everything was clean inside, so I started taking it apart. Found grass leaves in the main jet on the bottom. Cleaned that out and put it back together, and she runs like a top again. Guess I'm a carb expert now, along with all my other fine qualities. Lol

Jon, I thought I was going to have to do the same thing to my DC, then realized I had a intermittent flow stopper in the fuel tank, used my brake bleed suction gun ad got it fixed. But I am not much good at carbs either. gobble

My use all the time 300 started starving for gas, had to keep pulling the choke out a little more every time I used it. Really got bad plowing the garden and had to pull the choke out all the way and shift down to first gear. When time allowed a carburetor take apart, like you it was clean but noticed the nozzle was half screwed out. Apparently the last guy to work on it, ugh, didn't tighten it enough. I never doubt my ability to not get things right but we do have to pat ourselves on the back when we do.

Ha! We all get lucky sometimes. Carbs are a different animal. They can go for decades without touching them or be finicky as heck.

The carb on my DC has been acting up lately and getting worse, til it finally wouldn't run t all. In the past if I worked on a carb it was always worse after I was done than before. So I was reluctant to take it off. But cattle needed hay, so I gave it a try. Took it off and split it apart and everything was clean inside, so I started taking it apart. Found grass leaves in the main jet on the bottom. Cleaned that out and put it back together, and she runs like a top again. Guess I'm a carb expert now, along with all my other fine qualities. Lol
Hey Jon!! What the hell?? You remove, rebuild and re-install a Case-O-Matic unit and a little ol'e carburetor is a challenge??

When I went to fix a gas tractor I always use to hand the carb to my dad to rebuild. He did an amazing job and had a box of old gaskets, needles, jets, and other parts, so often I didn't even need to get a kit, he already had everything. Then my dad passed away and by letting him do the rebuild I hadn't learned, and my 300 needed the carburetor cleaned and rebuilt. Took it to a shop that didn't do a good job, (posted a picture here of the rusty carb a few years ago). So I cleaned and rebuilt it. Didn't work so I did it again and it has been going good for about three years now. Learned a lot about carburetors doing it to, lessons I should have got from my dad when I had the chance.

Carbs and hydraulics usually go badly for me. I got lucky on the com
Those Zenith DC carbs can get pretty tempermental when they get glunked up cant they Jon ? Rarely have i bought carb Kits ,,. I usually take them apart carefully ,, (DON OT TEAR THE GASKET !) and Clean the jets and scrub and Bolt them back together . I got lucky when i was in Hi-school and overhauled a 800 Case and a 430 Both Diesels and a gasser 3010 JD.. Then I realized I was not as smart as I was lucky ,, Anything at my place beyond head gaskets or injector pump swap outs goes to a expert qualified mechanic.

Yes Tod, one of the few shortcomings of a D series Case. That rear stud is the cause of much consternation, and more than a few naughty words. LOL
There are several tricks to getting all the bolts back in , , Removing the intake seems a bit extreme to Me ,,. I have loosened the carb bolts to allow the halves to pivot in extreme cases , But My best option has always been to loosen the breather apparatus bolts to allow enuf give to get those pesky bolts in , Do not Tighten anything until everything is well threaded , And DON't forget a bolt tightening either ,,. . This procedure always made Me question why Case Built the DC in such a stubborn unforgiving manner. But Over time ,I Realized that being stubborn is a CASE Trademark !

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back