A what is it kind of tool...

Dave H (MI)

Already found a use for the 1-2-3 blocks. I confess I know well what this is. I bought it on purpose for a specific purpose for which it is designed. It even gives you a clue to what it is. I bought this on MP from a fella who was happy to meet me up to the local coffee shop to handle the exchange. When I told him I was 2000 miles away he came all unglued and nearly cancelled the sale. Took a little TLC to get him to drop this in a flat rate box. Buyers aren't the only crazy ones on the interweb, just the majority. What's it do? A specific company sold these for use with their products.

cvphoto109588.jpg

Too smart for my feeble attempts. It is listed as an accessory to the Powermatic line of planers in their 1960's era catalogs. Changed some as the years went by. This one is painted gold and has a different dial indicator brand. The 1960's models are green with or without white stripes. From the catalog (still looking for the other one):

cvphoto109601.jpg

It has been happy days in the woodshop since I no longer need that tool, or the Bellsaw knife grinder.,,, that is after I got over the sticker shock for the Shellex carbide inserted heads LOL

Here's mine. I picked it up at the garage sale of a neighbor who had already sold his planer. I really just wanted the Starrett dial indicator.

cvphoto109676.jpg

Yes...almost $1400 for one of those for my planer. I figured I go with the old machine I would stick with the high speed steel and sharpen them from time to time.

That's a nice indicator. Can't read it but it looks like a 25-441. Whatever it is, I have one like it and it is a pretty nice indicator for the average guy with average needs (that would be me).

The steel knives last a good while in clean wood. I work a good bit with reclaimed lumber and it just didn't work. There will be another shell shock if I ever need to replace all the inserts!$$$ but Im still on the first edge of four

> Can't read it but it looks like a 25-441.

It is indeed a 25-441. You can read it in the original pic, but after I resized it and uploaded it, it's pretty fuzzy.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back