Adding pump oil to a floor jack

Tom in TN

I have two floor jacks. One relatively new one and one that is about 20 years old. My old jack was not lifting well, so I decided to add some hydraulic pump oil to it to see if it would pump up properly. I don't know what brand it is, the old label is long gone from the jack.

I found a rubber plug that's about 1/4 inch in diameter on the pump cylinder and pulled it out of its hole. The head of the plug is larger than 1/4 inch but the part of the plug that goes into the hole is about 1/4 inch in diameter. I added some pump oil and the jack seems to be working well, however, I can't get the rubber plug back into the hole that I pulled it out of. The plug has a lip on it at the end of plug that's actually a little big bigger than the hole. I've pressed and pushed on the top of the plug, but it simply won't go back into its hole. Any ideas on how to get it back into the hole?

Thanks,

Tom in TN

Find a ball point pen cap or body that has a taper to the 1/4 size. Cut it so the plug can be funneled into the cap and enter the jack hole. lube it up and push it in. Jim

Usually you can get them back in by getting the rubber warm and pliable (but not hot enough to degrade the rubber) then putting it in and tapping the back side with a punch (wooden dowel works) slightly smaller than the opening, which will force it down in enough to seat. Just don't get carried away as you can rip them, especially if they're already old and brittle.

Yes they can be a real pain to put back in BTDT many times. A small flat tip screwdriver and also as one of the other guys warming it up helps

If heating the old rubber plug doesnt work out, Amazon had some replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088PPKM49/?coliid=I3KDA8X1GTXH8U&colid=351FKIAY9O1AL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I cock it sideways over the hole, push down with a mid size screwdriver.

But let the jack down once before putting the plug in, just in case it's overfull.

Jim's idea sounds like a John Deere piston installer, a tapers sleeve, lube everything up and push the piston in, the sleeve compressed the rings! My jack is like yours, and I use a small flat screwdriver like most people suggest.

Adding the oil can be messy as well . I use a plastic tomato sauce squeeze bottle . The nozzle makes getting oil into that small opening easy .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back