Another Electrical question

Most if not all air conditioning compressor/condensers specify a dedicated circuit. The NEC also agrees with that.

Also, most have a 'max circuit ampacity' spec on the tag.

To protect any warranty I would want to adhere to those specs.

A small breaker box with the correct breakers will allow one to fulfill those needs and likely cheaper than tandem breakers at the main.

Most if not all air conditioning compressor/condensers specify a dedicated circuit. The NEC also agrees with that.

Ken FWIW thats my recollection, but my NEC is outdated grrrrrrrrr and I cant verify it yes or no ... As an Attorney and Engineer I have studied BOTH the NEC and Legal Statutes BUT THINK THE NEC IS HARDER TO COMPREHEND LOL

Regardless, I'm not a fan of using the TAP RULES (which I dont think applies here) to run out a single branch circuit for one AC then splice/tap conductors over to a second AC..NOT HOW I WOULD DESIGN IT.......and it may or may NOT (have to check code) be NEC permissible

Of course it can WORK and people have the free choice to wire as THEY like regardless if NEC compliant, regardless if cheaper or more expensive, its not up to me to tell them how to wire TO EACH THEIR OWN let them do whatever they like EVEN IF its unsafe, even if its contrary to NEC or Inspectors or any of us YTers lol

Take care yall please be safe but wire as you well like its a free Country

John T

Thanks for the help guys.

It is not true I do not like the answers given.
I just do not understand the answers given.
I'm not understanding why I can protect a 4 amp toaster with a 20 amp breaker but I can not protect a 20 amp A/C with a 40 amp breaker.

Also anyone that says it will not work because a disconnect must be within site of the A/C does not understand what I was asking because with my set up there will be a disconnect. I was just trying to run 2 units off a single disconnect.

But I think Ken gave me the answer I needed.
[b:654c4848f0]Also, most have a 'max circuit ampacity' spec on the tag.
To protect any warranty I would want to adhere to those specs.[/b:654c4848f0]

The page I was looking at just said needs a 15 amp breaker or needs a 20 amp breaker.
I took this to mean minimum size breaker.
But I did some digging in the technical pages and was able to find what Ken is saying.
It gives MINIMUM CIRCUIT AMPACITY and MAX.FUSE as 9/15 and 13/20 respectively.

So now I think Ken's advise will work best for me.
[b:654c4848f0]40A/8ga would go to a breaker box, not disconnects. Set up as a sub panel[/b:654c4848f0]

So I am now investigating something similar to the box in the picture.
It will allow me to put one big breaker in the main box and separate smaller breakers next to the A/C unit. It also will give me a spot to hook a single breaker for a 110 plug next to the A/C.
I understand I will need to run a 2 hots a neutral and a ground to the box and keep the ground separate from the neutral.

Thanks again.

cvphoto160287.jpg

THANKS for the feedback John,

40A/8ga would go to a breaker box, not disconnects. Set up as a sub panel

Good plan, not only will it work and be safe, but should (subject to other requirements) satisfy the NEC. Small sub panels are relatively inexpensive (NEMA 3R Enclosure if outdoors) and check out using HACR Circuit Breakers to feed AC units. As you correctly stated in a Sub Panel the Equipment Ground Buss and Neutral Buss are to be separated insulated and isolated from each other and as Ken first noted with a Neutral ran to the sub you have 120 VAC available.......Its a WIN WIN to satisfy your needs as well as codes where applicable if that happens to matter. Of course, theres more than one way to skin a cat and others can use different methods to accomplish your goals TO EACH THEIR OWN

PS You state: I'm not understanding why I can protect a 4 amp toaster with a 20 amp breaker but I can not protect a 20 amp A/C with a 40 amp breaker.

As I best recall NO WARRANTY It has to do in part with Branch Circuits used to supply motors HOWEVER it gets so deep and complicated even professional electricians and engineers find it difficult to understand SO YOURE NOT ALONE LOL

Congratulations and good job Ken also !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John T

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back