Another inching pedal question - Ford 5000

Hayburner

I saw the posts on the inching pedal and thought I would post a question of my own.

The inching pedal spring in mine is broken. I know it is the spring because I took out the broken part when I changed the oil/filter after I bought the tractor. The tractor does drive using a bungee cord to pull the pedal back, but there is no inching using the pedal. There is only about 1 inch of response in the pedal, meaning if the pedal is not all the way to the top, it doesn't engage and drive. I thought I read where pressing the inching pedal slightly is used for inching along. Is this correct? or is the brake used with the inching pedal fully engaged? Should there be more pedal travel with different levels of response from the inching pedal?

I would like to fix this and read the post about taking off the top cover of the transmission. I believe mine (to fix the spring) is accessed through the cover on the bottom. Is this right? Also, are springs available somewhere? I believe I asked at the dealer and they said they are not available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I have the service manuals, but I am likely looking in the wrong one.

You should be able to feather the response of the tractor by very
gradually raising the inching pedal. I can on my 881 SOS when
backing up to implements. I would think it should be the same
with your 5000. If you hadn't already, try releasing the pedal very
slowly giving it several seconds to respond. Maybe it is sluggish
and you are releasing the pedal too fast. I don't know offhand
what would cause your situation. If the band adjustments and oil
are right, maybe a spool is sticking then abruptly releasing in your
control valve. I'm not an SOS expert, but maybe some others will
have advice on this issue.

Thanks for the post. I thought you were able to feather it as you said and I have tried that, but there is no response until I get almost to the top of the pedal travel, with no feathering.

I meant to ask previously if there could be something sticking inside...thanks for remembering that.

you need to get the correct repair manual before attempting the following.
SOunds like you in fact have a plunger hanging up in the control valve housing, it is time to remove the lower cover remove the valve body, disassemble and polish all of the valves and the housings bores with ultrafine wet sand paper using solvent. the springs are no longer available, so I modify a brake pedal return spring for a 65 newer 3cyl tractor, not sure of part number off the top of my head. I would readjust the bands after valve body cleaning has been done.

Thanks forddoc. I have the service manual set from the dealer. It's a 5 or 6 book set so I assume I should be able to find it.

Looking at the parts catalog at:

http://www.partspring.com/new-holland/ag-tractors/5000-series/5000-series-39838.html

are you talking about taking that whole valve body out? I assume you mean number 26 is what is hanging up?

Is this a nightmare to get out? or is it a few bolts and it drops out?

Also, looking at this part of the catalog:

http://www.partspring.com/new-holland/ag-tractors/5000-series/5000-series-39837.html

it is number 13 that broke.

Is there a procedure in the manual to remove the control valve?

Thanks again for the help.

yes you have to remove the entire control valve assy. the book will walk you through it, read it before starting. yes 13 is the broken spring, but it is 27 that will be hanging up, but all of the valves should be removed and polished from the lower half of the control valve. Top half has the cam and tumblers, the valves in the top half are for seeting pressures so I wouldn't mess with those.

Thanks again forddoc. I'll have to look through the manuals to find that procedure.

Are you saying the lower half will come out separate from the top half? Or will the whole assembly come out?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back