Another question about a coil--Ford 640 with 12v convers

meck

I want to get a new coil for my tractor, and the more I read about what I need the more confused I get. Can somebody help me?

I have a Ford 640 that has been converted to a 12v and with the electronic ignition (no points/coil). There is also a ballast resister in line to the coil. I want to replace the coil, but the one on it is so rusted that I can't read anything on it to help know what it is.

I would appreciate it if someone can give me some advice here.

Thanks

This post was edited by meck on 05/21/2023 at 07:54 am.

(quoted from post at 10:53:49 05/21/23) I want to get a new coil for my tractor, and the more I read about what I need the more confused I get. Can somebody help me?

I have a Ford 640 that has been converted to a 12v and with the electronic ignition (no points/coil). There is also a ballast resister in line to the coil. I want to replace the coil, but the one on it is so rusted that I can't read anything on it to help know what it is.

I would appreciate it if someone can give me some advice here.

Thanks
robably a Pertronix EI unit. If so, Pertronix recommends a coil with 3.0 Ohms resistance or if the coil has less than 3.0 Ohms resistance, then add a resistor such that the total coil + resistor equals 3.0 Ohms. I prefer to minimize parts and connections, so use 3.0 Ohm coil such as IC14SB or IC14 (NAPA). No External Resistor required.
0rS1K7O.jpg

This post was edited by JMOR on 05/21/2023 at 09:56 am.

Thank you for the quick response. If I use the coil that you recommend, do I remove the ballast resister that is now inline from ignition to coil?

(quoted from post at 09:12:51 05/22/23) Thank you for the quick response. If I use the coil that you recommend, do I remove the ballast resister that is now inline from ignition to coil?

Yes, and I believe that the 12 volt Pertronix Electronic Ignition kit specifies a true 12 volt coil with no external ballast resistor, so it has probably been running in a non-recommended and non-supported way since it was converted.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back