Another sad event

Hamden, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A Delaware County man
died in a farming accident on Friday afternoon.

Duane Merrill, 68, of Hamden, died, according to the
Delaware County Sheriff's Office.

After a 911 call, deputies responded to 2152
Chambers Hollow Road.

Merrill was baling hay when the tractor's seat
detached causing him to fall backward onto the
ground between the tractor and baler. He then became
entagled in the machine and was killed.

Merrill was a well-known Hamden area farmer and Town
justice

Musta been an accident waiting to happen for a while, seats just don't break off.
I prefer tractors with a cab anyway.

Wow , I knew Duane really great guy he was even local judge a few years ago. He used to pull at Delaware county fair in Walton N.Y. His mom Alice remarried my neighbor that I used to work for. Sad, Greg.

Sorry to hear that, not that far from me and I used to know some people in Hamden as I went to SUNY Delhi in the late seventies.

Had a neighbor who had a few old H Farmalls he used in the woods, He always carried a log chain hanging from the back of the seat. (early style seat) He left the chain on while pulling a rotary brush cutter. For some reason the chain got tangled into the PTO and broke the top out of the transmission cover taking the entire seat with it. He held to the steering wheel and was not injured.

Did you know any of the Moody's , I grew up not far from their farm . Our farm was about six miles from the Dellwood foods plant in Fraser NY. Greg

wow, tragic to hear the bad news, prayers go out for the family and friends. somehow we got to keep reminding our self's that even though they are the best thing since sliced bread, they are a machine that will eat you alive and not burp or care.

Knew one of the Liddle's had a farm just out of Hamden. Also one of the Northrups from Walton. I'm over the mountain near Neversink and enjoy the Deleware County fair, and our tractor club and the one near Walton used to do things together and share some members.

Stuff breaks. I'm sure his family is having a tough time right now. Sounds like he was a responsible person.

Dad said back in the forties he was working for a farmer mowing hay with a mower pulled by a team. The seat spring on the mower snapped and dad dropped to the ground behind the mower. The pop from the breaking spring spooked the horses and they took off across the field and stopped against a fence. The first thing the farmer said was YOU SHOULD HAVE HUNG ONTO THE REINS! When the world suddenly drops out from under you, hanging on doesn't happen quick enough.

Maybe you do...I was friends with Randy Merrill and my parents were friends with Dick and Flora Loomis. Are you the one who wore the engineer hat & bibs at the Franklin Used Equipment sales about 20 years ago? Greg

Yes, his name was Tom! I went to Duane Merrill's calling hours last night, sad but the family was in good spirits. This makes two farmers I knew getting killed trying to farm in less than a year. I'm glad you remembered my father, not many do anymore. Thanks Greg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back