Any Suggestions???

Goose

I have a Poulan 24hp garden tractor with a 54 inch deck.

Due to an accident, the plastic grill in the front of the hood got broken a couple of years ago. I found there were no new replacements available, so I glued it back together with JB Weld at the time. Now it broke again, rather, the JB Weld failed.

Does anyone know of any source where I might get one, new or used? I checked Ebay and struck out. Maybe someone knows of a boneyard for used garden tractor parts.

Thanks in advance.

Check Craigs List, Charlotte, NC. There are several different posters that sell used garden tractor parts. I have not used them, ,but they post frequently.

I owned a rental property for 42 years and supplied a mower for The tenant. The mower was stored under a carport.
I intentionally removed the hood and no one stold the mower.
Better than having insurance.
Don't replace the hood.

I would post a want ad on Craigslist.

Before I would pay an outrageous price for a hood I would make one out of metal.
This antique can bend some heavy tin

cvphoto143924.jpg

cvphoto143925.jpg

There are now plastic compatible epoxies that work well. Sand the back side with 50 grit paper to give it tooth to bond the epoxy. Gorilla, and JB Weld make them among others. Use fiberglass mesh after applying the first layer (before it hardens) then apply 2 more. Sand and fill the exposed side using the same material W/O the mesh, and just filling the crack. Sand when hard and paint. Jim

Actually, I have some auto body two part panel adhesive that bonds body panels together as strong as if they were welded. It's not cheap, but I should have used that instead of JB Weld originally.

I can redo the whole thing with that, but it would be simpler if I could just get a new part.

Instead of glue use a plastic welder. Looks like a large soldering iron but instead of an iron it blows hot air out of a 1/4' tube. Sort of like brazing. Buy one, got to be cheaper than a hood, or a body shop could fix it. Cheaply if your not too picky.

May be best and easier to find an entire junked tractor rather than just search for a discontinued part. A lot of times you will find that a 16v twin up to a 27 hp tractor shares a lot of parts.

I have a 2754 Husqvarna GT tractor and the hood on the 23, 24, 25 and 27 hp GT's are all the same regardless of deck size.

We have a boneyard for all sorts of outdoor equipment in New Ringgold, PA. Unfortunately, that is quite a way from you. There is also a guy in Boyertown, PA that has a boneyard for mostly mower stuff. He may be willing to ship if he has one. Ray's Mower Shop at (610) 367-2078.

saline center consignment sale in mid march. lots of hood interchange; paint is different. 402-418-4815--randy arlt main street of dorchester

try john cotters saw shop in moody missouri. he has a large salvage yard of lawn mowers. 417-284-3250.

JB Weld would work if you reinforce it with a strip of screen.

Better yet cut a strip of sheet metal for the back side and stich it together with pop rivets.

This post was edited by Southern Ray on 12/30/2022 at 04:32 pm.

Dont know where you are located but there is a riding lawn mower salvage yard in Harmony, N.C. that post on Craigslist and he has lots of used lawn mower hoods listed for sale. Hope this helps if not too far away.

Maybe it's best and easier to find an entire junked tractor. X2

Tenant left behind a craftsman rider that was left out in the
rain. Everything was junk, full of water, blown engine,

The hood on the craftsman looks similar.
Many times mowers are made by one company and different names
are put on them. Craftsmen don't make mowers, just puts
craftsman names on them..

I repair cracks in my snowmobile hoods by drilling pairs of small holes close to the crack, then installing mechanics wire across the crack. I got a new hood from the insurance after my first wreck, but I saved it in its box in the barn until I was getting it ready to sell.

Gene.
I've been retired for almost 19 years now.
I have little desire to start another business.
I will help friends if they need something special built.
No charge. It's like paying it forward.
I collect tools I need, even if I rarely use them.
Here is another tool I rarely use.
cvphoto144010.jpg

It paid for itself when I sided my other house.
I covered all the wood and made corners when I vinyl sided my country house.
I made all the corners and
cvphoto144011.jpg

wrapped the wood around the windows.
Never have to paint again.

Here is an hood off a craftsman
cvphoto144012.jpg

I have one spare one like it.
Point is you may find a used hood from another brand.

Sounds silly but stainless steel cooling trays made for baking come in a huge range of shapes and sizes .
I've ysed them for replacement vents and grills on a number of machines . The frames are generally strong and brackets easily attached . In some circumstances they look better than the originals and are certainly stronger .

You might still be able to fix it. Clean off the previous repair and weld the plastic back together with a soldering iron with a blade for plastic welding on the back side. Then roughen the surrounding plastic and re-enforce the weld with fiberglass cloth and use JB Weld Plastic Bonder as the resin. Once that is done you can fill and smooth the face side with the Plastic bonder and sand it smooth. Then sand the face with some fine sandpaper and use an adhesion promoter and then prime and paint it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back