Automotive Scissor Lift

Glenn F.

For years now I have been toying with getting an automotive scissor lift for my rather low ceiling shop. What have your experiences been with such lifts? What brand(s) do you recommend? Do used ones often come for sale? I do not want a low rise two post lift. All feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,
Glenn F.
NEWI

I have no knowledge of scissor lifts to share, but my neighbor modified the trusses of his two-car garage to get a two post lift in there. He can lift a car up enough to do most basic maintenance.

All depends on the design.
Some you can't even get under a car to drain the oil, let alone do any repairs.
Others are okay to get a car up high enough to make getting under it easier. Basically you are still on the ground working when you only have an 8 or 10 foot ceiling to work with.
If you want it for changing oil for the most part. A good set of ramps work just as good and does to take up much space when not in use.

We have four at work , three brands.
Atlas , Bend Pack and Challenger. I think the Challenger is the best of those three.
It seems more sturdy and lifts a little higher. They're all rated for 6000 lbs , but I've pushed the limit and lifted a diesel pickup partway .then set it on safety stands.
I do body work and they are very handy I 'll lift them up and use a rolling chair to work on the lower parts. They lift about 4 feet
with the tall pads.
You won't want one for tranny's or exhaust , but it makes brakes and bumper removal much nicer.
The rolling wheels leave marks on the concrete I'd suggest a steel plate if you have a nice floor.
You can move them around fairly easy to a different spot if needed. Low cars might need a plank to drive up on.

For years now I have been toying with getting an automotive scissor lift for my rather low ceiling shop. What have your experiences been with such lifts? What brand(s) do you recommend? Do used ones often come for sale? I do not want a low rise two post lift. All feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,
Glenn F.
NEWI
Since day one there has been a need to lift a vehicle when I opened my first shop I already had accumulated means to lift. Every shop I have worked at used a different means. I can see what you are thinking about could be a hassle for all makes and models but if you are working on just a few you can figure out how to lift them with ease. Its no different with a two post lift I have to learn how to lift different models. I write down the tuff ones on the lift : ). If I had the room are I was in your situation I would have one.

A scissor lift is great for rotating tires, doing brakes, and perhaps a lot of work on a FWD car. Anything RWD, AWD or 4WD you won't be able to get to much of what you need to.

I'll add to the look at things carefully and make a two post lift fit recommendation. A far more versatile lift and there is most likely a way to make one fit and work well. Post some pics, measurements and structural details and I'm sure we can give you some good ideas.

When I started out wrenching, lifts were few and far between. Most everything was done on the floor or raised some on stands. One thing is certain is that anything that is done under a car or truck on a creeper is better done with the least amount of obstacles in the way.
I also have a low ceiling in my garage, and I have done several transmission R+Rs on a creeper - including 4X4s on a creeper underneath using 4 stands and a floor jack to pick it up. Not the easiest or most pleasant way to work, but not that bad either.
About all a scissor lift is good for is tires and brakes. For much of anything else, there are too many obstacles.

Look at side lifts, you can roll it where you need it and roll it against the wall when you’re done. It will lift full height and you can roll it between your rafters

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back