Basement Egress Window Advice

Glenn F.

Were looking into installing an egress window in our basement. Our two story NE Wisconsin home has high quality aluminum clad thermo pane windows. I am all about quality. What advice do you have for me?

Thank you,
Glenn F.

You should meet egress code sizing and height of the window. You might want to look into one of the retaining wall systems for egress outside. I have installed some made from plastic, tapcon to the wall, backfilled with stone and they work well. Example in the picture. May be different products available in your region. Some have clear popoff covers to keep critters out.
cvphoto122461.jpg

for sure put a cover on it. had neighbors call one time they had a skunk fall down in the egress and couldnt get out. they were going to shoot it. i told them if it sprays when they shoot it, the house will stink for months. i lowered a length of carpet in there and the skunk crawled out over night.

The retainer that [b:1da49afc8a]sms[/b:1da49afc8a] shows are great for egress windows.

The only thing that he did not mention is drainage. Dig a good size sump and fill it with 57 type gravel before installing the retainer. It will allow water from runoff or snow melt to leach into the ground and not pool in the bottom of the retainer which could lead to water damage or leaking through the window over time.

Yes use a retainer that can have a cover installed. Be it a solid or slotted one.

Not 100% positive. But I am thinking that egress windows have some type of code concerning enter and exit requirements for people. I do know here that if a cover is used. It must be able to be opened or removed from both in and outside.

They have steps, even the one in the picture is like a ladder. The ones I installed were concentric rings, each one larger, and steps were about 8 wide.

I thought drainage would be obvious and
the units come with installation
instructions. Egress windows must have
5.7 square feet of open area to escape
with a minimum width of 20 inches,
minimum height of 24 inches. Sill height
of 44 inches or less. I didn't mention
this earlier because local codes may
differ. A community may have more
stringent codes that supersede.

Glenn,
I think building codes on egress window size applies to new construction or new additions.

Anything that works on old construction is better than nothing.

I've been thinking about making something for a 100 year old rental.

Unless you are trying to make living space in the basement and being bugged by the building code people I think I would avoid the window like the plague. You may be adding a leak to your basement that doesn't currently exist.

Im in WI as well. Our egress window was added when we built our house and has drain tile lines connected to the sump pump in the basement. Depending on what type of flood plain you live in you may or may not need this, my sump pump has never run, it was installed for code, its unneeded where I live, but code is code and inspection must be passed. That said, you can add any quality of window you prefer once the hole is cut in the wall. Mine is vinyl, below grade in WI this is appropriate in my opinion. But I like vinyl windows everywhere in a house because I have never had an issue with them. Use what quality you like. Last, make sure your window well has a ladder of some type. I like what sms posted.

If possible, use a hatch cover that will remain open rather than fall back down to block or injure the person trying to use it. Split covers can be easier to open than one large cover, especially if weighted down by snow, ice, or wind.

Extra bedrooms add good value when selling a property. I would make sure your new egress is up to code as an out of code egress will prevent you from claiming it as a bedroom on a listing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back