Battery education needed

IaLeo

I was warned about all the terrible, expensive experience with batteries.......I ignorantly bought a 2002 Club Car 48volt cart with the dealer info .."we think there are two more good years...." and we will put in a new "charge status thing"..it showed about 3/4 charge. Well OK, not!

Cart ran and speed control was jerky...it needed a new controller, something I think I can get under and replace...just haven't had time to do it yet. BUT...

The batteries were "watered" after the charge status thing showed the charge going down to 50%.

Hooked up the provided charger and it maxes? out at 15 amps and stays there for days...HUH?

Bought a hygrometer(sp)? and sampled a battery or two: RECHARGE! Now wtf? Recharger will not charge...so am I had, with a need for 6 new batteries....so soon?

I was warned, sort of, just wondered if I am missing something.
Leo

I'm far from a battery expert but here is
how I read it. The hydrometer is measuring
the specific gravity in the battery fluid.
Basically how much electrolyte you have.
When you add distilled water to the
battery you aren't adding the electrolyte
[ battery acid]. It will lose some over
time. When the hydrometer says recharge
it is likely telling you the battery needs
additional acid. Once that balance is
restored you have a much better charge
capability.

Or I'm all wrong and someone will point
that out.

Hmmm, never knew the acid "evaporated". I'll have to look into that and see where to get the right kind of acid. Thanks Leo

When you have multiple batteries, it's always best to replace all, not one at
a time.

The hydrometer test will show the condition of each cell. Look for equal
charge levels between each cell. If they are varied, especially of one shows
as really low, and will typically have dirty floaters drawn up with the
electrolyte, that cell is bad, and the battery is done for.

I don't believe there is any need to add acid to a battery that is already in
use. Only if the battery is shipped empty, the initial fill, will acid be
added. Sometimes, rarely, a battery can be dumped and washed out, refilled
with acid and buy some time, but not really worth the risk.

You might try charging each battery individually if you have a 6v charger.
See if they will come up, then have them load tested. It takes a long time to
bring batteries up so the hydrometer says they are fully charged. Charge low
and slow!

I have been in the same situation that you are in now. Anyone selling an electric golf cart will lie about the battery condition. Get you a new set, install them and move on. As HoboNC says,'life will be good'.

Garry

acid level will always drop on the batteries with caps. u dont add acid! you add distilled water.

The acid doesn't evaporate, but breaks down into is components.

Battery acid is sulfuric acid = H2SO4

The hydrogen gas sometimes emitted while charging is flammable.

The sulfur component gives it the rotten egg smell.

This a 20 year old cart, looking in good shape.

It is a gift to my wife who is fighting multiplemyleoma successfully so far and does not have much strength or enery to walk around our 5 acre eden inspecting the flowers, garden and trees we have together planted and watered for twenty years.

We probably have only 5 good years left to this quiet rural private park, so I thought it would be nice to try something not too pricey and so far found that it is just the thing she likes.
1. It is hers, not something that is gone because I use it!
2. It lets her get out several hundred feet from the house without sapping her enery to pull a few weeds, our inspect the progress of our 200 or so plants.
3. We are both well advanced into our 80's, so, no I don't think we would use up a set of new batteries before moving out. But it will be worth it to have a new set of dependable batteries for our few minutes a week excursions to look at flora and enjoy.

I will start educating my self on the kind of batteries and where to buy them........next.

Your comments are good...I don't have time to end-run this problem. Thank you.......Leo

I think that I might know how you feel laLeo . My own wife is fighting breast cancer , our beautiful farm house has just been shattered by a giant fallen gum tree and while not quite in our eighties the time when we must leave our own paradise is coming soon .
I can't know your circumstances but I do know this . To climb onto a reliable vehicle, turn the key and just go where you need to is a priceless gift , especially if it gives your life partner joy .
Forget the rogue that lied to you , get some new batteries if you can and enjoy the look on your wife's face knowing you have done your very best .
God bless you and yours .

I agree with what Charles said in his post. The info from the others is also helpful. I have had several golf carts through the
years, and my favorite was a 1999 Club Car 48 volt with six 8-volt batteries. I bought it from a golf course when it was three
years old and used it like a tractor for twenty years before moving to town. I replaced the batteries twice in sets, but I think
now that I could have done that by replacing only the weak ones. It sure was nice, though, starting off with a new set. Unless
yours is a Presidential model, the speed controller is probably a potentiometer. I have a file-folder full of golf cart wiring
diagrams I'd be glad to send you. I'll try to leave my email open so you can send me your address.

Butch

Trolling motors and electric wheelchairs use 24v, two 12v
batteries in series.
If one battery is weak and can't take a full charge and you
continue to use it, the weak battery once fully discharged, will
take on a reverse polarity. The + will become- and the - will be
+.
Don't replace just one battery, replace all them at once.
Your 8v batteries are all in series.

Butcher, thanks for your response! I have received a set of parts to replace that wiper switch thing, but have not had the time to get the cart lifted and get under it to fix it. Unfortunately? I thought I would get a black plastic box thing that I would just unconnect and unbolt.....instead I got a box with many parts and so far I have not the time to check if this is the right kit.....sigh.....doctoring......out of control 5 acre grass mowing...flagging energy. I will stay tuned.
Leo :|

I certainly understand. Let me know if I can help. I got pretty good at keeping my Club Car running, mostly through trial and
error. The first time I changed out the batteries, I reused the original cables which were six years old. In a short while,
several of the ends had corroded away and had to be replaced. So, I bought 50 feet of cable and started making my own. The next
time I changed batteries, I replaced all the cables.

Butch

Here's a link to a repair. I don't know if it works, though.
https://golflink.com/how_6557_repair-golf-cart-batteries.html

I suppose that I am kind of numb when it comes to batteries. I need a GOOD meter to tell me what is going on inside them. Voltage while charging, voltage while working, voltage after running, voltage after sitting for awhile after being charged.

In this case being for your ill wife, do it right and get a new set of batteries.

I agree with whoever said that people with used golf carts to sell usually lie about the condition of the batteries. They could not possibly know that a battery has "two good years left."

Go through and dip ALL of the cells. Bet you'll find a few weak/bad ones. That's why the charger won't shut off.

My dad bought an electric golf cart for my mom. It was good at first but later was nothing but problems. Just a litany of corroded connections, rotted off cables. Thought I would cure that by buying a gas cart. Anyone with a good memory or can use the search feature on this site can tell you how that's turned out for me. I STILL have not gotten that thing to run reliably.

IALeo.

While they are charging check the voltage. Check the voltage in each battery. That may show a weak one too. A load test would be my choice. If a battery passes the load test,its a good one, move on to the next one They will take a
charge until each battery has reached at least 8.4 volts each.

15 amps going in to six batteries is not much current, and voltage at that rate of charge should be close the 48 volts,

Guido.

(quoted from post at 13:39:04 09/10/22) Hmmm, never knew the acid "evaporated". I'll have to look into that and see where to get the right kind of acid. Thanks Leo

I was charging a battery (out of car) once and what I had the battery sitting on collapsed and the battery spilled out most all of the electrolyte. I just went to an auto parts store and purchased the stuff. It came in a package that was just enough to refill a 12 volt battery. The battery is still going strong today.

I would recommend Trojan or US Battery for replacement batteries. Check with local golf courses to see if they will order for you, as they get them cheaper. Many courses are now going to lithium, but some still use wet cell batteries.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back