Bearings for Continental H277, H260

Pete P.

Looking for connecting rod bearings which are, apparently, nearly impossible to find. These will go into an antique American LaFrance fire engine, but were also used in Continental H277 and H260 engines, which I believe were found in MF 85 & 88s as well as Massey Harris 44 & 44 Special tractors.

Bearings that I can use are: Clevite CB405P or CB459P. Clevite CB405P crosses over to: Reliance RP281331, MF 1001189M92, 840598M92, 1000707M91 and 840540M91. Shaft size is 2.500 (std) and housing bore is 2.625. The width I need is 1.100 but anything wider is OK and I can cut it down. Similarly, I don't care about tangs or oil holes as I can modify as needed. I'm hoping someone knows of some NOS that will work.

I was able to find these listed online at Jegs, Ag Kits and a few others but when I called those places they don't actually have stock and, of course, they're out of production.

Any help appreciated.

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

Looking for connecting rod bearings which are, apparently, nearly impossible to find. These will go into an antique American LaFrance fire engine, but were also used in Continental H277 and H260 engines, which I believe were found in MF 85 & 88s as well as Massey Harris 44 & 44 Special tractors.

Bearings that I can use are: Clevite CB405P or CB459P. Clevite CB405P crosses over to: Reliance RP281331, MF 1001189M92, 840598M92, 1000707M91 and 840540M91. Shaft size is 2.500 (std) and housing bore is 2.625. The width I need is 1.100 but anything wider is OK and I can cut it down. Similarly, I don't care about tangs or oil holes as I can modify as needed. I'm hoping someone knows of some NOS that will work.

I was able to find these listed online at Jegs, Ag Kits and a few others but when I called those places they don't actually have stock and, of course, they're out of production.

Any help appreciated.

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.
Pete, are you looking for STD or some specific undersize? Also, I noted an old post by "Gambles" who stated specifically he had acquired the rod bearings for an H260. You might want to message him and find out his source. steve

Last edited:
Standard (2.500 shaft, 2.625 housing bore)

Thanks for the leads, I'll see if I can chase them down.

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.

Any help appreciated.

Pete P.
Harborcreek, Penna.
Did you ever find a set?

I did actually. Montes Equipment (thank you Welding Man) was awesome. The fellow I dealt with via phone was knowledgeable and helpful -- sounds like a one-man shop but worked out great.

Now to get the custom pistons back from the machine shop.....

I did actually. Montes Equipment (thank you Welding Man) was awesome. The fellow I dealt with via phone was knowledgeable and helpful -- sounds like a one-man shop but worked out great.

Now to get the custom pistons back from the machine shop.....
Ok I have a set I'd part with. Glad you found some

This outfit only deals with the newer stuff, nothing old.
Continental is the old stuff. Them engines are in the old masseys tractors and also the flatheads in the Lincoln welders. So not sure what u mean by nothing old ? I have been right in their office.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back