Best Fuel Tank liner

Brokengun

I am looking for advise on the best fuel tank liner to use in a gas tank. To stop new rust formation and protect the tank from future pin holes.

25-30 years ago I had Gas tank renewzit did a fuel tank for me and it is still good as far as I know. Last time I drove it about 20 years ago it didn't leak.

My opinion (for what little it counts) is that the best liner is NO liner. I have one 15+ years old that's still good, but have seen many more that have caused problems. In my experience they will (sooner or later) start to dissolve and cause major issues. Once they start dissolving, trying to strip a liner is a huge PIA. I've bought two tractors for dirt cheap with dissolving/disintegrating liners. Both were a nightmare to strip. I've done a few more for other folks, but probably wouldn't offer to do it again. By the time they pay me to get it all stripped and cleaned, they could probably have bought a new tank. Certain fuel additives cause them to dissolve faster - the Standadyne and Lucas additives many of us use can eat some liners pretty fast.

If it's a working tractor and the tank is leaking, a liner may still be your best option. If it's not leaking and is for a restoration or a tractor you plan to keep for ages, stripping the rust with a good tumble and phosphoric acid wash to eliminate & prevent future rust, a WD40 rinse to coat everything, and keeping it full of fuel to prevent condensation on the walls is the better option.

If you do opt for a liner, be sure to do your prep work well. How good it's stripped to begin with will make a huge difference on how long your liner lasts.

I should clarify: When I said, 'I've done a few for other folks', I meant stripping a dissolving liner. Not putting in a new liner.

I used some stuff I bought from an advertisement in Harvester Highlights magazine back in 1997 in the gas tank of a Farmall B. That tank was leaking just a little bit where the mounting bracket is spot welded to the tank.

It's still sealed today, almost 26 years later. Don't remember the name of the stuff, but the company I bought it from was out in California.

There is a company called The Shop that is in California. Ive had good luck with their tank liner product. They sale a cleaner/etch to use before the liner.

I've had good luck with RED KOTE Read instructions on can.Not for diesel .Can purchased several different stores .Here is one

ttps://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/red-kote/oil--chemicals---fluids/maintenance-chemicals/fuel/fuel-tank-liner/7af7d4e3bb57/damon-industries-red-kote-fuel-tank-liner/dam1/redkote

por15 makes a great liner system, with an acid rinse first. Its not cheap but suppository last forever. I have used it on one tractor and several motorcycle tanks. Only bad is,,, the chemical rinse removes all paint it touches....

I would look for a new tank first.
I purchased a new tank for my jubilee from YT.
The cost of a new tank was a little more than the chemicals needed to line my tank.
I tried to repair the gas tank on a 13 hp honda pressure washer. I ended up replacing the tank.
I bought the tank off ebay.
Have you looked on ebay for a new or used tank?

I had a radiator shop boil out the gas tank and line the tank on my dad's 1975 chrysler New yorker.
This was a long time ago.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back