Big Week Ahead in the Bush

Adirondack case guy

Looks like we are entering the biggest week of the 2015 Maple Sugaring season, here in central NY. The deep snow has melted and settled, so no more need for snow shoes.
Temps dropped below freezing and more snow fluries over the Easter weekend, after a record syrup production day on Good Friday. We figure that today we would get back to gathering sap, but ended up haveing to gather late yesterday afternoon. We started gathering at 9:00 this morning, and the cousin fired the evaporators the same time. My Davis home weather station indicated that humidity was at 86%, pretty hard to get the moisture out of sap when the air has that much moisture in it. Todays rain front has passed and we are now down to 67% moisture and the sap will turn to syrup quicker. As you see in pics.,earlier today the steam was not riseing, from the vents on the sugar house but just settling back to the ground with a light wind from the NE.
I left the sugar house about 5:00 and we had filled two more SS 40gal barrels of medium grade A syrup. We may end up with another record day with well over 100gal production.
We will start gathering again tomarrow at 9:00 as we still have 2.5 roads that we couldn't gather as the storage tanks and gathering tanks were full.
We may also have to start cutting more firewood to make it through the season.
Loren, the Acg.
a188432.jpg

a188433.jpg

a188434.jpg

a188435.jpg

a188436.jpg

a188437.jpg

a188438.jpg

a188439.jpg

Does the syrup have different grades??. I guessing maybe just the color maybe from a darker to a lighter color??.The pictures are great. Also i mailed my stuff to you today.

I should have included in my post that the uncle and cousins will more than likely be tending the evaporators well beyond midnight, tonight.
Loren

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back