Brass Filling in Engine Block Cooling Hole?

JBP616

New User
Long time lurker on these pages. I have a 1951 Ford 8n, wasn't running when I acquired it. The engine had been totally varnish locked. The old head appeared to to have been cracked and welded, and the water temperature sensor was located in a pipe welded to the head. Based on this, I decided to remove and replace the head. After a starter rebuild, and a great deal; of Marvel Mystery Oil / Sea Foam we were able to spin the engine using the starter, which was a positive sign.

However, after thoroughly cleaning the block, I noticed that the cooling hole between cylinder 1 & 2 appears to be filled with brass. The brass appears to abut up to the cylinder sleeves. I am thinking that the engine may have cracked and this was the previous owner's repair?

Is this just going to cause it to run a little hot, or is the engine basically trashed at this point?

mvphoto12643.jpg

mvphoto12644.jpg

If the cooling passage is filled the cylinder will be hotter in that area. Doubtful it will overheat unless you work it hard. N400 CID small block Chevies ran with Siamesed cylinders.

They may have brazed the sleeve to the block to keep it from moving...sometimes the sleeves were loose, and may have been noisy.

First pix would have been much better without the head gasket.

If you think the gasket will seal put it together with a fel-pro gasket its only gonna cost ya a gasket...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back