building question

I have two sheds 20 feet apart and am wanting to put a roof over this open space so the question is, since I could bolt the majority of the new post to the existing buildings could i use 4X4 post instead of something bigger? One of the sheds is 28' deep and the other is 24' deep. the new roof will be 20' wide and 40' deep. This will be storage for a 33' camper trailer. Thanks for all answers.

Far more detail and perhaps pics required, however it is certainly common enough for an existing structure to provide some of the support for an addition provided it was built properly and has the capacity for the extra load.

I agree with WP. Two thoughts:
The two valleys need to have snow and drainage consideration. Covering the entire area can make those issues cause radical problems.
The existing posts were (presumably) built to load factors for the roof structures they support. Adding 10 ft additional load to each is not recommended without engineering in the extra load. Reducing the post size is also not recommended. A stand alone self supported building for the vehicle would be my recommendation. Jim

Bigger question, will your county building
inspector pass your remodel?

Anything I do that costs more than $600 I will
have to get a permit.

If I don't get a permit and get caught I will
regret it. A permit is another form of tax.

A permit also protects people from doing things
they shouldn't do. Talk to your building
inspector. Answers on YT mean very little to the
inspector.

A building permit is code compliance and also so the assessors department knows you made improvements that can increase your taxable value.

Vito

Depending on how the sheds were framed you could span that distance with just the sheds supporting the roof. Where ever you plan on using the 4x4's wouldn't hurt.

If the ridge lines of the two buildings are parallel to each other, and you intend to run the third ridge line down the middle, parallel to both, at the same height, you will create two "troughs" where rain will collect.

Generally you want to avoid this kind of roof arrangement, because of the difficulty in dealing with the water in heavy rains. To do it "right" you'd need to span from the ridge line of one building to the ridge line of the other building, so there are only two roof surfaces and no troughs.

I looked it up and you don't get a whole lot of snow in Jackson MO, so snow is not much of a concern. You do however get an above-average amount of rain.

As far as your structural question, people have put up buildings with less and not even asked questions...

As mentioned, more information would be helpful, and even some pics.
Are the two sheds parallel to each other, end to end, or ? . Are they pole buildings, wood framed buildings, or ? .
You're not giving us a lot to work with.

4X4 posts are pretty small for sidewalls 10 foot high or higher. Not much information to go on yet. A local building center might be able to engineer a solution for you, but they will need a lot more information. Pictures of the buildings both outside and inside will be needed for any real answers.

more info on buildings. I have never learned to do pics so sorry no pics. Standing and looking at the front of the sheds the shed to the right is taller than the other shed because it sets slightly uphill from the lower shed. I have already removed two feet of dirt from the side of the upper shed to make level spot for trailer to set. I had not intended to simply bolt the 4X4s to the shed walls. i will dig post holes and set the posts and then intended to bolt near the top of the existing walls. This roof line will be taller than the already existing sheds. I plan on having 4 or 5/12 pitch. Plan on using 2X6 for the ridge pole and the headers and the boards from ridge pole to headers. Can go with 2X8s if you think I need to. The roof itself will be pole barn metal.

As noted below, Even if you live where there are no codes, getting an engineering evaluation of what you intend is just cheap insurance. We cannot visualize the roof line as they interact with snow or rain. Where the water (frozen or not) goes is a primary consideration. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page there is a Browse button. Push it and follow the Directions. Jim

He might not see a [Browse Button] on the device he is using.

I don't see one on the post typing page, the previous page of just your post nor the page showing all replies to this thread on my tablet.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back