Cant Keep Ford Golden Jubilee Running? Gas starvation?

Ok I have a New to me ford Golden Jube I picked up last year.
Ever since Ive had it Ive had this problem.
She'll start fine and run good for amount a minute...then stall out.
wont restart again till like a min. then run like 30 seconds and stall again and so on and so forth.
Acts like it runs out of gas. so I pulled the carb this weekend and cleaned it up made sure no clogs....reinstalled same thing happening!
When it does stall I think maybe a clog in the gas line so I disconnect gas line from the tank and gas flows ok. when carb apart I check the float and the shut off assembly and seems to be free flowing.
It just acts like once you use up the gas in the carb bowl, you have to "wait" for it fill back up again?
Next im thinking of taking off the drain plug in bottom of carb and seeing if gas flows steady from there to tell me for sure that the float shut off is allowing gas to flow. it may be but just not at a good rate to keep carb bowl full of gas.

In with this plan to pull gas tank and get rid of any rust and seal it up good.
Just cant seem to get this fixed. properly. Thanks for any input into this matter. runs good and I need to fix the gravel driveway!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a stuck float to me too.When you cleaned the carb did you make sure the float and needle moved freely from open to closed and back? I would remove the drain plug and check the flow first before anything else.

I had the same problem on an 8n once. rebuilt the carb (I am not good on rebuilding carbs ) and still had the same problem. I took the line loose at the carb and filled it with wd-40. put it back together and she always ran fine after that. just might be worth a try

(quoted from post at 07:05:05 04/01/19) I had the same problem on an 8n once. rebuilt the carb (I am not good on rebuilding carbs ) and still had the same problem. I took the line loose at the carb and filled it with wd-40. put it back together and she always ran fine after that. just might be worth a try

thanks for the good ideas gentlement. I was thinking same. float moved freely and so did the shut off need but I have sorta the same thoughts. that exactly what I was think..I can check if that is working correctly and opening if I take out drain plug and see if it flows constantly.

before I took carb out I know she was flowing as the carb float was stuck open as carb leaked like a sif...and I made sure the pin moves freely and sealed by blowing into fuel inlet and moving the float....so it should all be working good but thats a good way to check I was thinking too. Thank

unscrew the plug on bottom of Carb. Watch for consistent flow. Poor gas flow problem (similiar to yours) was crud in tank not able to allow gas thru upright screen in the
tank on my 600. Poor design allowed crud to stay in tank for 50 years. Mine only acted like yours when I worked real bumpy ground.
Look thru gas fill hole and you can see crud and screen.
Charles Krammin

ok...maybe not gas....I got tank and carbs all cleaned gas runs out just fine from the bottom of carb so I know flow working good. but still no start or run for long..

so now Im thinking / looking at electrical...coil lights up fine. ign switch working ok. get spark on plugs?

so now Im lost again...maybe points not good??????

but then again they are if I get blue spark at plugs ok right??

through me another place to look??

Got air, gas, spark?? runs then stops...again hard to start after she runs out of gas....as I did not put alot in cleaned tank and it ran and then ran out of gas and now problems again? or I should say still.

Glad I did tank though!! has crud that woulda got in carb eventually.

Thanks all

If you are sure that gas flow is not the issue I would be checking for spark over a period of time.Put a good spark plug in one of the plug wires and ground it.Turn the engine over for 6 or so seconds and see if the spark stays strong the whole time. Then open the gap on the plug to about 1/4 inch and do it again and see if the spark will make that 1/4 inch jump.My 4000 did about the same thing and it turned out to be the condenser.

(quoted from post at 10:40:25 04/11/19) If you are sure that gas flow is not the issue I would be checking for spark over a period of time.Put a good spark plug in one of the plug wires and ground it.Turn the engine over for 6 or so seconds and see if the spark stays strong the whole time. Then open the gap on the plug to about 1/4 inch and do it again and see if the spark will make that 1/4 inch jump.My 4000 did about the same thing and it turned out to be the condenser.

ok when I checked for spark I must admit I cranked her over and when she sparked I stopped and went...ALL GOOD THERE!!

but I see... Monitor it over a 6 sec time...ok...I was thinking of throwing in new points and condesor just cuz... I dont know how old they are...Im assuming ancient since the last owner had if for like 6 years and with moderate use never did an oil change!

thanks
Make sure spark stays strong and blue....ok

ok I should know this and will have to check manual but. my NAA jubilee is 12v. original is 6v. so I need to find 12v points and condensor for it so the orginal at TSC may not work right??

Boy been a long time since I had to deal with Points!!!!!!

I will have to look up the gap too. man not since first car a '56 Beelte have I had to mess with points!!!!

Thanks

Ok I think I found many an answer...

Someone said: "Points are points and they are not designed specifically for 6 or 12 volts."

and I found someone say gap at .025"

so should be good. Thanks

You got both of those correct!
I will add that not all points are created equal, TSC (nnalert?) are NOT good quality points (at least from the number of people that have had problems on here).
I would recommend going with a higher quality product like Blue Streak. NAPA maybe?
HTH
Keith

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back