Case 1740 starting issue

RobT05

New User
Hello,

I am having an issue with a Case 1740 Uniloader with the D188 diesel engine in it. It has a key, but is push button start. When I try to start the engine it will crank as though it wants to start, but will not fire up, and when I let off of the push button the engine quits cranking but the starter continues to make noise and eventually smokes like it is still spinning and burning itself up.

I recently had the starter rebuilt as I allowed a friend of mine to borrow the machine, and he claimed he somehow was able to start the machine by just turning the key. Had to replace a fuse by the instrument panel as well. Recently replaced the water pump and did a fuel filter replacement as well. The machine fired right up after the filter replacement. I worked it for a half a day and it was smoking while under load, and as I drove up hill it was losing power to the point it would just stop dead in its tracks going uphill.

Any suggestions or advice as to what may cause the starting issue? Any suggestions or ideas why it is losing power? If I can get it started would like to trade it off or sale it as it is actually not big enough for what I had bought it for. And it frequently does not perform well in the mud here in Western Pennsylvania.Thanks for any help!

The stater sounds like either the solenoid is burning the contacts inside from to much cranking to start or the push button switch is in the same condition. Could be either one. then for the fuel issue check for flow from tank. Could be a plugged line from tank to filters or if it has a low pressure pump could be on it's last legs. Then if changing the filter solved the starting problem with the fuel then have a look see inside the filter cut it open and see what is in it. Dirt rust or other junk. Could also be but probably not likely injection pump or injectors. A pinched or kinked line will do that too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back