Case 430 Drive/Traction Problem

zoso1473

New User
5 years ago I bought a case 430 gas tractor. This thing is a 1963 mutant with a non-standard 31 Hoe and 22 Front End Loader. It is a true, mechanical transmission with a shifter that matches up to a 480B (with the triple fork shift mechanism, rather than the 480D/580 series shuttle shift, 2 fork system). This machine has definitely seen better days, but doesn't owe me anything.

Several months ago it started acting up and has gotten progressively worse. I don't have the time or safe place to start tearing this thing apart at the moment and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction come springtime when I can park it and work on it outside.

I am having a problem wear it is almost as if the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Adjusting the clutch would worsen the problem and make it even easier to pull it out of gear (already tried this, so I know that is the result). I can be rolling down my driveway, and then all of a sudden it is as if I am in neutral (although I can assure you I am still in gear) and the tractor will just roll to a stop. It doesn't have the strength to pull itself up a hill or out of a pot hole. Sometimes changing gears helps, sometimes shifting into neutral and then back into gear helps, sometimes bouncing the tractor up and down with the front bucket to free up whatever is hung up helps. There is no rhyme or reason as to what a clear cut cause and solution is. The other day, I had to use the rear hoe and drag the machine 30-40 feet before I could get it to roll in reverse under its own power. The brakes only have 100 hours, maybe 150 hours on them, and they both appear to engage and release.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you able to adjust the clutch pedal so you have free travel? I guess whether you do or don't your problem sure sounds like there is something wrong with the clutch
and that means splitting it. Rod.

I have adjusted the clutch to the point where there is slack in the linkage and 2" worth of free travel/play in pedal. That does the opposite of what I need unfortunately.

I was wondering about the spring and throw out assembly.This machine shifts into and out of gear without any problems and no real fighting with the clutch pedal though, I wasn't sure if that could be the issue.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back