Case 580B in West Virginia

You good guys have helped me out so much in the past. Thank you. I rebuilt an old Case 580B in New
Jersey and it worked Ok there. Now, I moved the machine to West Virginia to do more work.
Questions: Item 1. Because of the steep mountains, I want to keep the machine in first gearcreeper
gear! I can not get it in first or second gear. Third and fourth gear, yes, but no first or second. Any
thoughts? Item 2. This may be a driver issue, unfamiliar with driving in mountains, but as I go straight
up a hill, the machine reaches a point where the front end lifts off the ground, all the way till the hoe
hits the ground. Not good. Not good at all. Your thoughts?

Thank you for all your help!

Doug in NJ who is in the mountains of West Virginia

(quoted from post at 19:04:01 10/13/22) You good guys have helped me out so much in the past. Thank you. I rebuilt an old Case 580B in New
Jersey and it worked Ok there. Now, I moved the machine to West Virginia to do more work.
Questions: Item 1. Because of the steep mountains, I want to keep the machine in first gearcreeper
gear! I can not get it in first or second gear. Third and fourth gear, yes, but no first or second. Any
thoughts? Item 2. This may be a driver issue, unfamiliar with driving in mountains, but as I go straight
up a hill, the machine reaches a point where the front end lifts off the ground, all the way till the hoe
hits the ground. Not good. Not good at all. Your thoughts?

Thank you for all your help!

Doug in NJ who is in the mountains of West Virginia

Item 1: Did first and second gears engage when it was in NJ? Better define the problem. Does the lever not move the rails to engage those gears or does the lever seem to move properly to those positions, but the gears aren't there?

Item 2: You say steep mountain, what is that by your definition? TLBs are often tail heavy. Some have weights that can be added to the underside of the front end to help with balance. You can take a scoop and fill the loader bucket before heading up hill to help with balance. If the hoe is not folded up tight into the transport position the light front scenario will be worse. Geometry, the further out behind the rear axle the hoe is carried the lighter the front will be. Carrying anything in the hoe bucket will make it worse as well.

And then of course you may be trying to go up too steep a hill. Experience and Operator's comfort level are in play with that factor.

Thank you very much Jim.

As far as not engaging first and second gears in my Case 580B, I did not have them in NJ. But I didnt need them as the terrain is flat. Not so in West Virginia. I need creeper gear to maintain full control of the machine here in WV. I can move the gear shift to the positions first and second gear are supposed to be found, and in the first gear position, the shifter does move one half notch into where the gear would engage, but it will go no further. There is no grinding sound whatsoever. I have tried to engage these gears with both the machine running and the machine shutdown. As per linkage, I have not inspected it yet.

As far as driving in the mountains, I am new at this game. Some of the slopes I tried to negotiate are at 45 degrees with the machine in a straight up/down line. I am very cognizant that mountain driving demands a whle new set of skills. I presently have the counterweight that is normally bolted to the front end off the machine. I will work on restoring that today, using limited jacks and blocking. But I did fill the front bucket with six building blocks and a heavy Jack in an attempt to change the center of gravity on the machine. And yes, even with the hoe tight against the machine and the front bucket weighted, no change. I am used to getting into some strange machine attitudes inside the cab, but this first time was a real tripand I hate and will not go on rolly-coaster rides. I will continue to educate myself regarding what I can and can not do in these mountains. Very possible these 580B machines are very limited in the mountains.

Hope this helps explain all further. Thanks Buddy

Doug

(quoted from post at 09:32:18 10/14/22) Thank you very much Jim.

As far as not engaging first and second gears in my Case 580B, I did not have them in NJ. But I didnt need them as the terrain is flat. Not so in West Virginia. I need creeper gear to maintain full control of the machine here in WV. I can move the gear shift to the positions first and second gear are supposed to be found, and in the first gear position, the shifter does move one half notch into where the gear would engage, but it will go no further. There is no grinding sound whatsoever. I have tried to engage these gears with both the machine running and the machine shutdown. As per linkage, I have not inspected it yet.

As far as driving in the mountains, I am new at this game. Some of the slopes I tried to negotiate are at 45 degrees with the machine in a straight up/down line. I am very cognizant that mountain driving demands a whle new set of skills. I presently have the counterweight that is normally bolted to the front end off the machine. I will work on restoring that today, using limited jacks and blocking. But I did fill the front bucket with six building blocks and a heavy Jack in an attempt to change the center of gravity on the machine. And yes, even with the hoe tight against the machine and the front bucket weighted, no change. I am used to getting into some strange machine attitudes inside the cab, but this first time was a real tripand I hate and will not go on rolly-coaster rides. I will continue to educate myself regarding what I can and can not do in these mountains. Very possible these 580B machines are very limited in the mountains.

Doug

4 speed gear transmission? If so, it sounds like you need to pull the top cover and check things out.

A few cinder blocks and a jack aren't much weight. Get the front counterweight back on it. Try a full bucket of dirt/gravel.

45 degrees is 1 to 1, and about the natural fall angle of dumped material. If you are trying to climb 45 degree slopes, you are pushing the limits of stability, (you said the front came up and the hoe hit the ground) and lubrication in my thoughts. I think 30 degrees is about the standard limit for excavators due to lubrication as well as stability concerns, and they are more stable than TLBs.

Thank you very much Jim.

Doug

45 degrees is doggone steep! x2! I wouldn't do it... Do you have full EROPs??

This post was edited by WilBury on 10/19/2022 at 06:26 am.

4 speed gear transmission? If so, it sounds like you need to pull the top cover and check things out.

A few cinder blocks and a jack aren't much weight. Get the front counterweight back on it. Try a full bucket of dirt/gravel.

45 degrees is 1 to 1, and about the natural fall angle of dumped material. If you are trying to climb 45 degree slopes, you are pushing the limits of stability, (you said the front came up and the hoe hit the ground) and lubrication in my thoughts. I think 30 degrees is about the standard limit for excavators due to lubrication as well as stability concerns, and they are more stable than TLBs.
Jim.ME and all others. Thank You for your help and insight. Once I attached the front weight on my Case 580B, two years ago, I have been able to climb my very steep West Virginia Driveway. Thank You! Now I have another question…if I attach a second heavy weight (this one came from another 580B), will I get more stability. So if I were to attach it, I would have two 580B front end weights on the front. Just asking. Happy New Year. Doug

Jim.ME and all others. Thank You for your help and insight. Once I attached the front weight on my Case 580B, two years ago, I have been able to climb my very steep West Virginia Driveway. Thank You! Now I have another question…if I attach a second heavy weight (this one came from another 580B), will I get more stability. So if I were to attach it, I would have two 580B front end weights on the front. Just asking. Happy New Year. Doug

A second front weight should help prevent the front from getting as light going up a hill, if that is your problem. It is still a 580B, not a mountain goat, be careful.

Thank you Barry. I have noticed differences in engine oil levels when parked on hills. ??? Doesn’t seem like there is much I can do there other than add and drain.

I have an old Case 580B and need a little help. There are two Hydraulic hose "Swivals" bolted onto the dipper of my backhoe...one on the left and one on the right. Hydraulic hoses go into these "swivals" which allow them to adjust as the dipper moves up and down. With the reference being sitting in the cab at the valve nest, my swival on the right side leaks badly. Inside are two o-rings and two plastic spacers. I replaced the orings and spacers with good parts...and it still leaks badly. Need some good advice on a fix or a part number. Thanks in advance

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back