Case Engines

REDEYE

I have been toying with the idea of getting a case 400/800 diesel and had a few questions. It looks like the 400-830 used more or less the same engine with the Lanova style side injectors and cups. Then switched to direct injection with the 870. I am in a bit of a bind as i like the old style 400 & 800 but want the power and direct injection of the 870.

Can you swap the 336 sleeves, pistons, heads and injection pump off an 870 onto the old style motor? Would the 870 engine bolt into a 400/800?

Does the eagle hitch on the 400/800 have draft control?

After a bunch of reading here i am not afraid of the COM but does anyone have a link to a youtube vidoe of a rebuild?

Thanks

Most likely any direct injection engine will have ‘swirl’
chambers in the pistons, since there would no longer be one
in the head. Most lanova were flat head pistons.

Tractor pullers switched the late block to the early bell housings some time back for pulling and others have done out of necessity to make one out of two. Someone will have the details of how its done sooner or later on here.

The 870 engine will bolt into the 400 with no difficulty, the 6 speed bell housing is totally different and a direct swap is difficult as the bolt pattern is totally different, there were also 6 speed transmission 930s built and shared the old housing with the previous models. Any of the 8 speed tractors will take the later Case block. Internal parts can be swapped but boring the block is necessary to do so. Late heads have one more head bolt but have been used, early blocks were a bit narrower. If you could find an 870 Diesel engine that would be ideal. Throttle linkage and wiring would be fairly simple. Once you start machining it takes dollars.

The 400 and 800 heads have a different
bolt pattern than the 830-870. The 870
block does bolt in but you will have to do
some machining on the front bolster
because of the oil pan. Also you will need
to drill a hole in the front of the block
for the steering shaft. If you really want
a diesel a 336 with the direct injection
would be your best bet in my opinion.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back