Cheap tires

plattman

Member
I have Dads all original 1953 Case DC that I'm not using cause dont trust the original tires. I dont want to put a lot more money into it that its worth. Is there a brand of tire for show only not to be worked that would be cheaper than regular field tires?
 
I've never seen such a tire that you're suggesting. The market would be so small I don't see how it would be profitable. If I were you I'd be on the lookout for cheaper used tires. At least used tires will look matched to the tractor since it's still original. It's remarkable the tractor has the 73 year old tires.
 
Are you talking about irrigation tires? I remembe Roger Welch in his tractor book saying he couldn't find field tires for his WC Allis. Found irrigation tires of that size. Lite duty but ok for show.
 
I have Dads all original 1953 Case DC that I'm not using cause dont trust the original tires. I dont want to put a lot more money into it that its worth. Is there a brand of tire for show only not to be worked that would be cheaper than regular field tires?
Any pair of new 12.4-38 or 13.6-38 tires with new tubes and mounted will probably cost $1,000 or more.

If the tires on the tractor are original would they still be the older 11-38 or 12-38 size label?

It is not unheard of to shop for a similar era tractor with good tires and rims to use as a donor tractor, swap the tires and rims, paint as needed to match brand colors and then resell the donor tractor. Would 1953 era still use the drop center style rims rather than the later double bevel rims of the mid 1950s? Back then many other brands also used the same drop center rims: JD, IH, M-H, M-M, Oliver, etc..
 
Any pair of new 12.4-38 or 13.6-38 tires with new tubes and mounted will probably cost $1,000 or more.

If the tires on the tractor are original would they still be the older 11-38 or 12-38 size label?

It is not unheard of to shop for a similar era tractor with good tires and rims to use as a donor tractor, swap the tires and rims, paint as needed to match brand colors and then resell the donor tractor. Would 1953 era still use the drop center style rims rather than the later double bevel rims of the mid 1950s? Back then many other brands also used the same drop center rims: JD, IH, M-H, M-M, Oliver, etc..
I bought a new pair of 11.2 38s for my Oliver 66. $750 for the pair, no tubes, cash and carry. A parts jockey wanted $500 for a used pair. No thanks. I won't throw money down the toilet for a 60-70 year old rotted out used one anymore. Anybody who has one thinks it's worth new price. They're not. I've bought used ones, put them on and had them bust out at the bead in under an hour. I bought a new 13.6 just a few months ago for my 77. I don't have the receipt right in front of me, but I think that one was $425. I twisted the stem off the old tube and had to buy one of those too, so I was up near $500 by the time I got out the door.

As far as those irrigation tires, I don't know that you can find them in a 38.There's a guy in our club who has some tires that have bars that run straight, no angle at all, would look the same either way that they were mounted. I don't know where he got them, but they don't look good at all.
 
Last edited:
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top