cleaning fuel strainer 1969 model 1020

TrentonJ

New User
The fuel strainer is a fine mesh screen fixed to the brass elbow in the carburetor body facing the engine. First loosen the flare-end fitting connecting the metal fuel line to the brass elbow and move the disconnected fuel line out of the way. There is barely enough room for a wrench to loosen the brass elbow from the carburetor body. There isn't room to fully turn the elbow, and it likely isn't loose enough yet to turn by hand. My tip is to insert an allen wrench into the exposed hole of the elbow and gently turn it unless too much force would mar the fitting. There is just enough room to remove the elbow with attached screen which is about an inch long. Take care not to kink the screen filter. I used a can of carb cleaner to clear out the debris in the screen. The threads had been sealed apparently with plumbing teflon tape, but I like to use Gasoila paste on threads in such situations. While I'm at it I drain the carb via the drain plug to remove any water or debris in bottom of bowl.

Or, simply follow some good advice from of old "Buy clean fuel and keep it clean".

That will eliminate cleaning screens!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back