converting trailer with fenders

what would be best way to covert a trailer with fenders to over the deck trailer. Could I just made long spring shackles or put longer spring mounts ? Thanks

deck over designs really get their "height" by the frame being well under the deck. I do know moving spring shackles from under the axle to over the axle gives about a two inch raise. That's not much, and you will still have the fenders in the way, unless you cut them off and relocate them. Make sure the tires don't rub the fenders, and what clearance you have is adequate for a range of load weights. It may be better to build a completely new trailer, trade or outright buy a deck over. A low deck between the fenders type I believe will also still have tires outside your deck width, I think there would be too many modifications to make it worth it.

Jon can answer this probably the best for you. though with the springs mounted on top of the axle then with cross members cut out at the wheels you can then use plate steel to go over the wheels. This will cut your heifght as much as possible and still go over the wheels with the deck. With cross members on top of the main frame rails will give you a few inches for clearance when done though most are made to pierce the frame rails to get a lower deck height spring flex and such will be a factor to consider into the height off the top of the tires when done. If you don't have enough clearance a piece of tube could be added to the bottom of the frame rails to raise them up some for more tire clearance. That would be better than adding length to the spring shackles. A tube can also be added to the top end of the anchor point for the shackles to fasten to. I bwelieve it would be about as cheap and less monkey business to just find a trailer like you want/looking for.

The deck on a deck-over trailer would be significantly wider, nearly always 8 to 8.5 feet compared to less than 7 for a fender-style trailer, along with the other differences already pointed out. To do something like this right you'd essentially be using the current trailer as just a source of raw material and rebuilding everything. It would literally be building new, not converting, and when you get done you'd have less resale value than when you started. I agree with E.B. - you'd be better off taking the equity in the trailer you have now as trade-in value on what you really want.

Just curious, what are you going to haul that needs a deck over? Is this for the same Ford 3400 backhoe you were asking about this same trailer modification a couple years ago? A deck over will feel a bit different towing due to the higher center of gravity of the load. I have a low deck equipment trailer with fenders to fit between, a deck over, and a gooseneck. I recommend upgrading to a gooseneck if you are looking at moving a loader hoe, it is better hauling/riding than the deck over. What is your tow vehicle?

It can be done if you have the facility, tools, and fabrication skills. Whether or not it is practical is another thing. What is your current trailer, factory or homemade? Open center wheels or stud mounted? It is likely it will take major rebuild of your current trailer, not just a change of a few bolt up locations, even new axles if your current trailer has drop axles.

Some things that would need to be reworked (remember the height needs to increase not just to clear the tires but to allow full suspension travel plus a bit of clearance). Spring mounts on the axles must be relocated to the top of the axle (you can't just turn the axles over due to the camber in them and brake operation), you may need to add a sub frame under the original frame to gain height (trying to just make longer hangers and shackles has a limit, they would bend easily if too long), and the tongue would need to be lowered. Widening the deck frame to carry weight could require adding members between the existing frame rails to prevent bending of the rails from the cantilevered framing you add to the outside of the rails (they were designed for the load to be between them).

I agree with the guys suggesting you find a true deck over (or a gooseneck) and sell your trailer or work out a trade. The third option would be to get a deck over and keep your current trailer and have hauling options.

I guess I will look for an over the deck trailer. Won't use it much but I can haul about about anything with it. Thanks for all the help.

Assuming it's a utility trailer the tires are about as high as the fender and railing, I would remove the wooden deck build onto the railing. It will need more support but it would be a start to weld some angle across the existing railing in the width you need. Then when you complete the framework and get it painted install the wooden deck on top. Probably be easier to bite the bullet and spend the money for another trailer.

Probably be easier to bite the bullet and spend the money for another trailer.

I would agree, buy a new trailer because the old wood deck is not CCA treated and may last 10 or 12 years.

I had to replace two 2x6x18 boards on my implement trailer. They were 11 years old.
cvphoto165923.jpg

I special ordered CCA boards from Menards.
cvphoto165924.jpg

It's your money and your time.
If your trailer is for a business, I would buy new and take a deduction off my income taxes.

To convert the trailer you need to install a "lift kit." Probably the most effective way would be to cut all the spring hangers off the frame, raise the frame, get a couple of 4' long chunks of 8", 10" or maybe even 12" heavy C-channel and weld it to the bottoms of the frame rails, then reinstall the spring hangers on that channel. You'll need to cross-brace and gusset the daylights out of everything of course.

Of course as others have pointed out, this doesn't make your trailer deck any wider. You'll have to add extensions to get the trailer out to 102" wide.

What are you hauling that needs a deck-over?

If it's something driving on, this idea won't work. IF it's setting something on the trailer (implement, combine head, etc), then you could custom build a few wood pallet-like platforms the same width of the bed that fit between the fenders that are just a little higher than the fenders then set your load on top of that and strap/chain down. Build several smaller ones that add up to the length of the trailer to make them easier to handle.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back