Coolant Leaking From Overflow Hose

Had the 3T090-J in my YM 2820(?) overheat. Thought I’d start with something simple like a new Thermostat and radiator cap. After topping off the radiator I noticed coolant gushing out the overflow hose (no bottle) when cranking the engine. I took off the radiator cap and cranked the engine and it looked like Old Faithful erupting from the radiator. This doesn’t seem normal but I have little experience with tractors. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Likely head gasket is blown. Are you confident on the engine model number. Reason I ask is because the John Deere 950 has the 3t90-j engine. Your number has an extra 0. Looks out of place. Normally, the J suffix is an engine made for John Deere.

Winston,

I can always count on you for great feedback. Thanks again!

I was afraid it might be a head gasket but haven’t had much experience with it. I’ll need to double check the engine number as I was citing it from memory.

Best Regards,
Chris

I was able to check the engine number today. It is a 3T90T-J. That probably makes more sense.

Can you tell me what parts I might need to get to do the head gasket replacement (besides the gasket of course <E>:D</E> )?

Thanks again!
Chris

That engine must have come out of a John Deere. The T stands for turbocharger. Does your engine have one? That is the engine model that came in the John Deere 1050. If I were doing it I would disassemble first, then take inventory. Might note this selection of parts. I'm sure they probably have even more. https://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/JD1050-ENG.htm

I could be giving you bad advice. Make sure you check with the parts people before ordering your parts.

Winston,

Seems as though I may have a rather strange beast here. As old as these things are it's likely it's been through a lot before coming to me. I'll take your advice and do the tear down first taking inventory along the way. Hopefully I'll be able to resurrect it and get it back to work.

Best regards,
Chris

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back