Could Use Some Wisdom From The Group

Shep1

Member
due to an untimely passing of my loved brother in law, I have a chance to buy his Massey 291. Of course, the battery is dead.

It hasn't been moved in what looks like, 3 or 4 years. So, my question to the group is:

A. How do I make an offer, not knowing if there are major issues with it?
B. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to look for through the years of caked on dust.
C. If I can get it cranked what should I offer?

I have 3 diesel tractors. all are either a Ford 3000 english, or Dextas english made. So, I have no experience with a Massey .

Thanks in advance for any guidance or wisdom.

Shep
 
No help on price. Would want it cheap if not running. Neighbor lady had a Massey 275 a few years ago and wanted to sell it. Her husband bought it new. He passed away and tractor just sat. Had not been started in 3 or 4 years. She ask me to sell it for her. I bought 2 new battery’s for it. Fuel tank was 1/2 full. Dipped a clean rag in tank and squeezed the fuel out into a container. Looked and smelled fine. I left the fuel stop pulled out and spun engine over several times a few seconds at a time. Oil pressure showed on gauge and I push stop in. Hit the switch and tractor was running. Ran perfect. I would buy it if cheap and get it running at home.
 
From what a search turned up, the MF 291 is a 105HP 4WD tractor, and must have been made in Spain. I can't find production years though, there is so little on the web about this model. Does it look like this? Fuel fill is on left side, right side is entry to platform.
1790217994594.png
 
No...but my mistake, I misread the model number...it is a "231"...which changes my position completely. After really giving it the eyeball Friday, I'm out of the running for this tractor. There was no oil on the dipstick, dirt clods up behind the front bumper and whoever borrowed it ran it through vines and the vines circled on the bushhog driveshaft to where they twisted themselves into the bushhog gear box and there was oil all over the place. Looks like my brother in law lent it to kids probably that had no idea about a tractor and just abused it....I hate it..

Thanks for the input, and I really appreciate it.
 
If you are still interested in it (I know you said you aren't), you could give them the scrap value price or just above.
Especially since you can tell them the engine doesn't run, no oil on the dipstick, oil leaks all over, could have been ran out of oil and might be shot. Could say there are a lot of unknowns about the condition that you don't know until you would get it running.
That's about the same price anyone else on the fair market would give, unless it has sentimental value.
Nothing else, you can part it out and make some money back that way.

It would probably start and run half decent though, it's a Perkins. :D
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top