Cub Lo-Boy 154 starting problem electrical

Eskimo55

New User
Hi, Anyone have some expertises on the electrical side of a mid '70's Cub lo-Boy 154? The tractor had been running fine all winter - went out two weeks ago will not start and it didn't sound like it was firing.
I checked the positive side of the coil and sure enough it was dead. Replaced the coil and it was still dead on the positive pole. I ended up opening the dash area and repairing three different wires that were grounding on the frame, steering column, and another wire. I replace a burnt fuse and returned the new coil to the auto parts store thinking the coil was not the problem.
Now I put a test light on the positive side of my old coil and have power on the positive post w/ the key on. Without the clutch depress the engine will not turn over - as it should. Depress the clutch and the engine turns over - that tells me the clutch safety switch is working correctly (right).
I have an inline spark plug test light that I placed between the coil and the cap ... dead!
I have tested the clutch safety switch, ignition switch, anything and everything that looks like it needs power running through it and all looks great!
Why am I not getting power from the coil to the distributor cap - anyone?
 
i would bet the ignition points have some corrosion on them. get some 320 sandpaper, take the distributor cap and rotor off, there should be a plastic dust shield next, that pops off, you should see the points there. tap the motor over till the points close, place the sandpaper between the contacts and shine them up. blow the dust out or use some electric contact cleaner and then check for spark. you will prolly need to put a set of points in there.
 
Hi, Thanks I will give it a try in the morning.
One thing that stands out about your reply - I am not getting fire off from the coil. When I put the plug wire tester (light flashes as power goes through) between the coil and the cap shouldn't there be fire there going into the cap? The points and condenser (if it has a condenser)are on the other side of the electrical path going out to the plugs - right?

Ted
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top