D17 Chugging under load

alpha384

New User
My D17 wont stay running or wont run well when trying to drive it. It will start and idle in all throttle positions, but once you start driving it doesnt want to stay running. It has fuel, drained both bowl and cleared line. Is this a timing issue?

I doubt it. You say it "IDLES" when the throttle is moved to ALL POSITIONS ??? So, in other words the engine never speeds up and increases speed ???? If this is true, it sounds like a broken governor spring OR the throttle linkage isn't moving on the engine when you pull down on the throttle lever.

Sorry, thanks for the response, let me clarify. It idles and throttles
all the way up, but then struggles when put into gear. I also noticed
since posting that it seems to not run great at higher rpm
intermittently after running for awhile while not in gear also. I have
the owners manual and service manual reprints. Is there any other
good sources for maintenance and repair? Besides this forum.

Thanks again!

(quoted from post at 18:26:55 07/01/23) Sorry, thanks for the response, let me clarify. It idles and throttles
all the way up, but then struggles when put into gear. I also noticed
since posting that it seems to not run great at higher rpm
intermittently after running for awhile while not in gear also. I have
the owners manual and service manual reprints. Is there any other
good sources for maintenance and repair? Besides this forum.

Thanks again!
When is the last time it had a tune up?? New spark plugs, points, condensor, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor ?? Remove the drain plug on the bottom of the carburetor to drain the gas and catch the dripping gas in a milk jug. It must fill a one gallon jug in less than 12 minutes or you have gas flow problems.

first things first,... have you checked the fuel flow into the carb??? just because u cleaned the line means nothing, i can be the inlet on the sediment bowl plugged with junk from the tank. with line off the carb you should have fuel pouring out like u drank 6 beer . not a slow trickle either, full line flowing. next have you checked the spark???

It is very likely a fuel flow issue. assess the flow from the carb drain fir one minute into a gallon volume can. a pint a minute for a minute is OK. less, or lots at first, the less and less is not. Jim

I think here we go again. My G ran the same way. Had all new ignition parts. Thought it was fuel but not. Just try a different condenser. If you have an old one around put that in. Blue streak come recommended. I have some but luckily have not had to use them yet. It's an easy place to start and if it doesn't work move on.

Alpha welcome to YT! Some one might say ..here we go again.. but I would be led to check fuel flow because your symptoms certainly sound like that is your problem. As Janicholson and some others pointed out the place you need to check the fuel flow is from the drain on the bottom of the carb. The fuel has to get inside the carb to get into the fuel circuits. The suggestion of filling a pint every minute is a little heavy for that tractor. Go with 2.5 pints in 3 minutes, and that test should be made by not catching the first 5-8 seconds of flow which empties what is in the carb bowl. One thing that is often unknown is that there may be a fine screen on the fitting where fuel line attaches to the carb. The fitting has to be removed to clean it. The YT parts do not show one for an Allis but I will link an example for a Ford. Allis uses the same brands of carbs Ford does.
Example carb strainer fitting

Allis-Chalmers never used a fuel inlet screen, altho someone could have installed it after the fact. As far as fuel flow goes, that tractor would burn almost 4 GPH when plowing. That is why I said a MINIMUM fuel flow. If it flows more than that, OK fine. Nothing wrong with that. In fact the size of the inlet needle/seat if clean, will actually flow more than 5 GPH, as it should, because the same needle/seat is used in the 175 gas tractor and that's what it burns per hr. under 100% load.

What is the history of your tractor? Is this a tractor you have owned for a while and this problem is new? Or is this a new tractor to you which has this problem, and you are now trying to get it running properly?

As suggested do the fuel flow test at the drain of the carburetor bowl to confirm a steady fuel flow. How did you clean the line?
As others have noted the inlet to the sediment bowl, in the tank, may have material in it restricting flow. Have you had the carb apart and/or made any adjustments to the carb settings?

As for could it be a timing issue, you need to tell us what, if anything, you may have done to the ignition system. Have you replaced the plugs, points, condenser, etc.? Did you set them to the specs in the manuals? Did you time it with a timing light, and check the advance, per the manual after working on the ignition? If you need to replace the points and condenser, get Standard Motor Products ''Blue Streak'' line ignition parts if possible.

Guess I should have phrased my response differently. What I meant was there seems to be a fair amount of condenser failures being mentioned on forums. The tractor acts like it is being fuel starved when it ends up being the condenser. Not to say always but it is an easy fix to try then move on. One of my G's did just that. Had all new ignition parts from a reputable supplier. Ran good then not so good. Finally replaced condenser with another new one. Same thing only I thought it must be fuel related this time. Did all the fuel stuff even removed and flushed the tank. Same thing found and old condenser put that in and it runs fine now. Good luck on your tractor.

So my first question here is, is this a gas or diesel D-17. Fuel flow seems like it is good if you can throttle it up and leave it throttled without choking out. Without knowing the fuel type first I will say that your problem makes me think governor timing issues, but for now let's start w fuel type.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back