Dad brought the last wagon home last night

lastcowboy32

My father was an old school NFO member.

He spent the 70's running his own farm and working as an organizer.

My brother welded a low step onto our John Deere 1520, so that dad could get up on the seat and work the double rake hitch. Right up until the summer of 2020.

Also, as the picture shows, he was a fun-loving, exuberant "Papa" to his grandchildren (up to great-great). Many of them spent hours on his lap on that old 1520.

He got to live on his farm, and passed in his recliner, in his sleep, facing the window overlooking his farm... knowing that my brother just finished haying for the season.

Dad appreciated the struggles that we all face to get the crops in... and I'm sure that many of you have similar memories...

This forum is probably one of the few places left where people remember the farm environment of the 70's... the NFO... The various local co-ops and such...
He went out with his boots on...

He was 93.
mvphoto83383.jpg

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. This post is a good tribute to your dad and a life well lived.

Dad never went to college... but I can thank him for my wanting to be an engineer... even if mom was the one who pushed me with respect to math and such.

Anyway... dad didn't learn how to weld. But he had a friend that had a welding service ... and this friend was often complicit in many of dad's mechanical brain storms.

This year was an extremely wet baling year... and ... I'm reminded of the time that dad paid his welder friend to weld big flat skid plates on the bottom of our NH273 baler, back in the 70's.

He thought it would just skid right over the mud.

I'm here to tell you ... that experiment failed... if any of you ever had a thought about doing the same thing.

:)

Sounds like a great man.
Thanks for sharing that tribute to him.
That's the way I would like to go.
Richard in NW SC

So sorry for your loss and so glad that he didn't have to
suffer as so many do in their last days. It sounds like
he was doing just what he wanted to do and that is
something you will remember as time passes on. Prayers
for you and the family. You never get over the loss but
you will get through the heartache. Keith

RIP Prayers to you and yours. As someone that is in a nursing home /rehab 10+1/2 months I can tell you this is no
way to live.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back