David Brown 880 Stopped Running

Jeff Cushman

New User
Hello, New here, just joined. I recently purchased a David Brown 880 Selectamatic. Was brushing cutting for about an hour when it stalled. The diesel engine will not restart. Thought maybe it was hot so I let it cool and still nothing. Added some oil, made sure it had enough fuel. It turns like it will start but doesn't. Any suggestions what to do next or what to check out? Thanks

Hy add the oil, was it very low. Check or replace fuel filters and prime then give it a try. That would be my first thought to try.

Joe

Check and make sure the shut off at the injector pump is in the ru position and something hasn't slipped or broken and put it in the stop position. See if you have fuel to the injectors by cracking the lines above the injector. Start there and get back to us.

One of the nicest things about a diesel is that when they are running and stop, it is almost always lack of fuel-they don't have ignition problems. As hydro 70 guy said, change the fuel filter. But while you have the old one off, open the fuel shut-off from the tank and allow fuel to run into a pan or bucket. It needs to pee a steady stream for at least a minute. If it slows to a drip you have a restriction upstream.

Try blowing air through the fuel line into the tank. Remember to remove the fuel cap first, If the tractor has a fuel pump unhook the fuel line on the side coming from the tank. The sudden engine stop sounds like a plugged fuel line to me. When gas engines have fuel problems they often slow down and sputter along for a few seconds but diesels just quit abruptly.

Same thing happened to me on my DB 780 turned out to be the lift pump that puts fuel up to the injection pump.Take the line loose that goes into the lift pump to check fuel flow as it could be the tank stopped up or the filters stopped but usually if its one of those the engine will loose some power from restricted flow not just stop dead.When the lift pump plunger fails it cuts
off the fuel flow and stops the tractor suddenly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back