Deere Load Control Bushing Removal Tool

TomIn

I've got a John Deere Industrial 301A tractor that leaks hydraulic fluid from the load control shaft/bushing. I tried to replace the bushings several years ago, but was unable to get them out. I just replaced the seals, but it is leaking badly again.

I looked a YouTube to see if there were any good videos showing how to replace the bearing, shaft, and seals. I found a fairly recent video:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=deere+load+control+bushings&&view=detail&mid=C77F2E6A14EA2143DF69C77F2E6A14EA2143DF69&&FORM=VRDGAR

The video shows a "bushing removal tool" being inserted into the bushing, then the bushing was beat out using a rod from the other side. (The "tool" gripped the machined channel where the nylon seal fit. The metal rod used to beat out the bushing could "bear" on the tool rather than on the edge of the bushing.)

I'm not much of a mechanic, but I have never seen such a "tool" and could not find anything similar with a search of the internet.

Can anyone identify this tool and suggest how or where I could purchase or make one? (The tool looks sort of like two jaws of a small gear puller that are held together with a bolt----except for the fact that the holes in the jaws are at a 90 degree angle.)

Jaws from a small puller, put back to back so the gripping jaws are in the seal groove. Jaws must fulcrum on each other, or a spacer, so that the spreader bolt (holes at 90 degrees from the puller bar holes at the ends) forces and holds the jaws tightly in the seal groove.

If you do decide to replace them, freeze the new ones overnight for installation, they will go in easier. Put a light under the housing bores to warm it slowly, that helps as well. Try to minimize damage to the bores from pulling and installing to avoid leaks around the outside of the bushings. A light coating of a Loctite type sealant on the outside of the bushing to help avoid leaks.

Jim,

I agree that the "tool" looks sort of like the jaws of a small puller held together with what you call a "spreader bolt". I've just never seen a puller that has holes in the middle at a 90 degree angle from the "puller bar holes at the ends". I have a difficult time imagining how a person could rig a "spreader bolt" if the holes aren't at that 90 degree angle.

The video looks like Snap On. I can't tell which size. It looks like the price of the puller is more than the total of the shaft, bushings, seals, etc.

Find a Snap-On truck, you should be able to purchase just the jaws as replacement parts. Check eBay, there are used pullers there. Since you aren't reusing the bushings (or you wouldn't be taking them out) weld a short bolt into the bushing hole on one side, let it cool, drive that bushing out, then repeat for the other side. Or weld a nut to the bushing and pull with a puller or slide hammer.

tomin: I have taken out hundreds of the JD load control bushings. I never used anything but a long piece of 3/4 round bar stock cut off good and square. Hold the edge against the edge of the bushing and SMACK it with a two pound hammer. Your not going to break anything. Tapping around and NOT hitting it hard will just mess the edges up. Hit it like it is your worst enemy. LOL

If you want to try and pull them out just take a washer that just barely fits through the center hole. Put a piece of threaded rod with two nuts to hold the washer solid. stick the washer in the bushing and offset it so it catches the back of the load control bushing. Have a larger washer or piece of flat iron with a hole in it that will reach across the housing. Put a nut on the rod and tighten it. Usually the bushing will move. You usually have to rig up on the opposite side over were you started to fully pull the bushing out.

While your doing all of this I can have them both knocked out with the bar and hammer.

(quoted from post at 15:09:37 08/27/18) Just use the old load shaft. Pull it out and push at an angle and hit the bushings and seals out.
hat was how i always did it too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should be able to figure out something that will work.

Everything is a long process for me. I'm retired and split my time between my city house and my place one hundred miles away in the boon docks where the tractor is located. It always takes several trips back and forth to assemble the parts and tools that I need to work on equipment.

As you can see there are often many ways to accomplish the same task. Hope I answered your question on the "tool". For the record, after pulling one with a slide hammer and seeing how they fit in the case, I do as craigco and JD Seller, using either the old shaft (if it is being replaced) or a 3/4" rod to drive the bushings out. Good luck.

I sacrifice the old load shaft (chances are it is ready to replace). I place the shaft in the housing with an inch or so protruding to one side, weld the shaft to the bushing and drive the whole thing out. Then cut the end of the shaft with the bushing on it off, reinsert in the housing the opposite way and repeat. The welding helps shrink the bushing some what to ease removal

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back