Do you teach your kids to obey laws?

showcrop

When our kids were in their early teens the wife and I had a little discussion about showing and demonstrating good driving habits, because we knew that they were of an age where they would be noticing if we obeyed traffic laws, and we were concerned that if we ignored traffic laws how could we insist that they observe other laws. I can't help but notice people with kids in the car while they blatantly run stop signs and red lights, swerve abruptly to pass on the right, stay six inches from the car ahead where lanes merge, so that no cars from the other lane can merge, drive 10MPH over the speed limit, etc. Which type of parent are you?

We absolutely did teach them to obey laws. In fact, we had to counter what a paid instructor taught one of our sons drivers training class. When he got done with the classroom portion, and had a few driving
lessons with the instructor, it was time for the driving with parents part. First time our son was behind the wheel with us, he said, "I can drive 5 mph over, right?" I told him no way, he must obey the
speed limit. The instructor told them that they could drive 5 mph over without getting ticketed. I assured him that the Police didn't have that policy, especially with teen drivers. They may chose to give
warnings, but certainly weren't obligated. This same instructor had him drive up to a fast food restaurant early one morning for something for her to eat. As they drove down the road, the instructor rolled
down the window and threw out the food as she said it was cold.

We teach our daughter to obey legitimate laws......I think she's beginning to understand more as she gets older and can see for herself some of what's going on in our Government. Funny even a 13 year old has more common sense, and isn't as stupid as many adults now days.

Beyond that I'll refrain from saying anything that might get this thread deleted for being too 'political' in nature......Like the NRA thread was deleted the other day after, I can only assume, my late night response to one of the replies....even though there wasn't anything stated but facts, and those fact were in no way political in nature.....

I always learned a lot more by what I observed or overheard, than by what I was directly told. So I have tried to be a good example, rather than "preach" at our kids. They got plenty of that from their mother.

Though she is correct about the 5 MPH in most jurisdictions, it's time for a new instructor.

Dean

Several years ago in sweeps week a Twin Cities TV station had one of their in depth reports.....

A septic tank pumper was pumping tanks, and spreading it on a hay field they owned or leased. Which is or at least was legal in this state at the
time.

After watching all three segments of this in depth report, a person could figure it out at the end - a neighbor on a lot was doing the wrap up
interview, and were the ones that got this report started. The dad was just about in tears in front of the camera, said his little 7 year old daughter
plays in that hay meadow all the time, no one should be spreading sewage on it!

And I wondered, why is he letting, or encouraging, his daughter to trespass? She should be playing on his own back yard lawn, or in a public
park?

Paul

One of my pet peeves is attire. How can kids and young adults be expected to dress appropriately for any event if their parents run around like slobs all of the time?

When our daughter entered Nebraska Wesleyan University, a Methodist school, part of the matriculation process involved a ceremony that was billed in advance as a religious service. I wore a coat and tie to the service, and was appalled to see fathers of other matriculating students attend the service in T-shirts with questionable slogans, and didn't even bother to remove their greasy baseball caps.

And that's another part of this peeve, males who don't remove their headgear indoors, even in restaurants, etc. I grew up in an era when a gentleman always removed his hat or headgear when in the presence of a lady. Plus Marine Corp regulations prohibit wearing any headgear (cover) indoors unless armed and on duty. Most officer and Staff NCO clubs in the Corps have a sign behind the bar, "He Who Enters Covered Here, Buys For All A Round Of Cheer". And it's enforced on any luckless Marine who forgets himself.

So, the headgear issue has stuck with me. I, personally, never wear any kind to headgear except a straw hat on a hot sunny summer day and a winter cap in cold weather.

She was probably mid 50's. She also drove a county transportation bus, and I often wondered how she was as that driver. She did pass away a few years ago.

Probably as important as laws are, I worked harder at teaching my sons to work hard, be honest, always do the honorable thing. So far it's worked, the youngest is 40 now and they are better guys than I am.

I'm irritated by the other side of the coin.
When did cops uniforms come without headgear?
When I was in the army headgear was required
outdoors and at the time so were cops.

I can't walk into a building without pulling the hat off. Once a Marine Corps DI teaches you something you don't forget. I was told to never spit [ That is the last piece of nutrition that would keep you alive! } .Probably spit five times since . Nor have I ever carried an umbrella since they made me aware I was amphibious and could operate wet or dry.

I feel the best a person can do is lead by example. Some children will do whatever they think they can get away with once they are away from their parents. If/when they get caught they should suffer what ever punishment the authorities deem appropriate.

I do my best to use things in the car as they should like turn signals etc etc plus I always tend to leave extra room between me and the next car up. What get me upset is a cop who does not signal a turn or other such things and to me they are the ones who should obey the laws to the letter or we should be able to write them a ticket just like they do us if we do not signal etc

If you wait until they are in their early teens it's already too late to teach them by example, kids learn at an early age.

I did my best to teach by example. When my kids were young teens at the age when they a prone to start getting in trouble I had a talk with each one explaining the standards. 1. I would bail them out of jail for anything except rape or drugs. 2. If I caught them with drugs I would call the law. 3. I'd make sure that they made any court appearances as directed. 3. I would not pay any fines for them. When they were old enough to drive I told that A. I would not buy them a car. B. As long as they had a job I would pay insurance but nothing else. C. If they caused the insurance to go up they would pay the difference. D. If I ever caught them drinking and driving I would cut their car in half and if it was in my car I was calling the cops, turning them in for drinking and driving and underage consumption. My oldest daughter was the first to get a ticket when she was 17. The oldest 2 boys knew better than to test me. She was afraid of what I would do. I simply reminded her of the rules. She paid her fine and the insurance company did not raise our rates. Never had a problem with the younger kids after that. 7 kids and none have been in jail or even arrested.

Rick

I think I've set a pretty good driving example for my daughter. Being 60 years old now, my crazy driving
days are behind me, I just have to remember to keep my thoughts about the other drivers well hidden! LOL

She just turned 16, so I've been going above and beyond trying to give her driving pointers. Problem is she
doesn't really seem interested in my ramblings (she is a LOT smarter than me anyway), or even in learning
to drive! She already has a car waiting for her, my mom's old car since mom can't drive anymore. She has
paid no attention to it. Tried to get her to help wash it before I put the cover on it, not interested...

I don't think she is anywhere near ready for the responsibility. She is very much a "Mama's girl", and IMHO
my wife is extremely over protective of her. So if she were to learn to drive, her mom would never let her
out of sight!

My goal is to wait until she is 18. When she gets tired of being broke all the time, she will get a job.
Then be able to support her driving habbit

You would be amazed at how little they can be and know stuff just by watching your example. My kids are 20 and 23 now so my memory is a little fuzzy. Back when I think my son who is the oldest was really really young maybe even first grade some "teacher" had this bright idea to make up a written test with a question like which way do you move a turn signal lever to signal a right hand turn. Well on mine and every other car I know of you move the lever up. This "teacher" must have the only car on the planet this way she thought you moved it down. Most of the kids ,mine included actually got it right. She gave the kids a bad grade because she did not know jack ! I think there was so much uproar from parents she declared the test null and void but never would admit she was wrong.
I remember thinking why on earth would they put this on a test for such young kids ? and then also wondering how on earth my kid knew the correct answer ? I sure as heck NEVER gave a thought to giving him drivers ed at that young age ! They just watch and learn !

Tried my best to teach them by example to obey all the traffic laws. Problem is they see everyone else that don't at the same time. They are all middle age now and I still correct them any time I'm riding with them.

No, 5 mph over the speed limit isn't legal. Yes I know you can usually get by with it BUT the speed limit is THE limit and 1 mph over can get you a ticket. No the judge won't laugh at the cop and throw it out because he know's what limit means and you are guilty of going over it.

No, almost stopping isn't stopping. Doesn't matter if you're out in the country and you can see half a mile both way's and nothing is coming. You make a point of alway's completely stopping and you'll do it automatically every time.

Thank goodness I've never caught any of them passing in a no passing zone cause if I do this old man is gonna take them out behind the woodshed no matter how old they are!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back