Done with corn...Sun.

big tee

Right or wrong, time will tell--Unheard of in NE Iowa to be done with corn in April! The old saying--"Plant Early-Plant Often"--When I was a kid my Dad wouldn't start until the 2nd week in May--Hybrids have changed. Last year we ran that Vertical tillage machine I built over most of the previous years corn stalks except for one field--The trash would barely go through the old Deere 1100 field cultivator but when we got in that no-till it turned into a 42 ft. dump rake! So we got the old Deere 20 ft. BW disc out and disced it--Son thought it looked good so I was stuck in the disc for the duration .He said "NO MORE NO-TILL"--Big yield lag.---Tee
cvphoto3170.jpg

View from the Deere 4630--Discing
cvphoto3171.jpg

Wife ran the 8760 and the FC.
cvphoto3172.jpg

Light soil--rented farm
cvphoto3173.jpg

I got to run it on about 60 acres--it is the Wife's Deere

Nice pics. TEE! around here some guy's are finishing up also. Radio was saying we are close to being in the drought category again. Can't win can you. Now if crop prices were only where they should be. By the way, how many hats do you wear with that face mask and sunglasses? Saw another one on Ray's FB page. That one was the scariest one yet. Have a good day. Mel

Old timers used to say." Plant in the dust, your bin will bust." Another old fellow here used to say "you can't plant corn until you can sit in the dirt without pants and your butt won't get cold."

The so called people in the know tell us corn seed that hits cold ground is partly doomed from the start. They say we should not plant into cold soil hoping it will warm up soon. I am just a dumb old farmer so I can't dispute their statement one way or the other. I finished planting corn last Thursday. It seemed strange to be done with corn this early. I am slowing down and gave up some land so not it only takes me two and a half days to plant the corn and maybe three days to whip in the beans. Two days ago the corn I planted a week ago today had tiny sprouts, meaning it went into good warm ground. This morning I found more seed with sprouts but in another part of the field I found a seed in dry dirt. We had a couple tenths of rain yesterday morning but it didn't do the dry soil any good.

Its cold and rainy in the Pacific NW in most years, and corn (for silage- no grain corn planted here) is not generally planted until mid-May. I remember one year a guy planted in early April, after a dry spell and the soil was workable. I saw the corn in late April, after the rains had started again- it was a couple inches tall, and more yellow than green. His neighbor planted in mid May, our normal time. By July you couldn't tell the difference between the two stands. Early planting was of no advantage, but he exposed himself to a late frost (which didn't happen, luckily for him). YRMV

Great to be done. We are here as well except for what I plant for a neighbor. There was a time when my wife spent as much time on the tractor as I did. Tom

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back