electric motor reset

Hopefully some one can explain this to me. I have a Delta table saw with a on and off switch with a reset button next to the switch. The motor burned out and I installed a new one. The motor came wired with three wires and the old one was wired from the switch with four wires. Three wires (black, white and green} went from the on/off switch and the fourth wire (red) went to the reset switch. The wire from the reset switch was capped off at the motor and not attached. I thought the reset switch worked when I was having problems with the old motor, but now I am unsure. So the question is does the reset switch wire need to be attached to the motor to work properly and if so where does it get attached?

Yes, especially on a table saw, it needs to be attached.

The motor will have 2 lines in, the circuit breaker needs to be in series with one of the lines.

If it's 120v, connect the black wire from the plug to one side of the circuit breaker, the other side of the circuit breaker to the motor T1 lead. The white wire from the plug directly to T2. The green to ground.

If 230v, L1 to the circuit breaker, other lead from circuit breaker to T1, L2 to T2, green to ground.

There may be more than one lead inside the cover, if so there should be a wiring diagram showing how to wire it for high or low voltage, and how to reverse it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back