Electric space heaters not working properly. Any thoughts??

Big 86

A few years back, I bought three new electric heaters to use around the house during the winter. Mostly to keep water pipes from freezing, but sometimes used in other areas. First year all worked great, and as spring came they went into storage for the summer/fall.

Now that I am ready to use them again, they all have the same problem: when you turn them on they run for about 45 seconds, then shut down with the "caution" red light . After another 45 seconds to a minute, they come back on and the cycle repeats. Every single one does this, and I am lost as to why. All three are the same brand, Lakewood, 120v 1500 watt heater with blower motor. Tried adjusting the temp thermostat, makes no difference.

Anyone have ideas on what is wrong with these heaters? Very frustrating (not to mention cold) when you need heat and the heaters only run not even half of the time. I would like to fix these rather than buy new ones. Thought or opinions on this?? Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have manual that came with the heaters that explains what the caution lite means? Is there possibly a switch that shut off the heater when it tips over? Maybe it is stuck. Check the voltages inside and see what is wrong.

Blow through them with a little air hose. Gently. Fact you got three, fix one and others will be simple. Dave

I had a heater that I think was a Lakewood. This thing would heat but the fan would not turn on and blow air. Since it wasn't moving air it would overheat and shut off. The fan would eventually warm up (oil or grease on fan bearing) and start to work somewhat but then after things got up to temperature and the heater shuts down. The cycle started all over and I was afraid of burning the place down so I tossed it in the garbage. Be careful and good luck. A new heater would be cheaper by comparison.

Steven

Fans are working okay and blow air. The heating element shuts off and the red 'caution' light comes on after a few seconds and then restarts, and cycle repeats. The manual states that there is a safety shutoff that turns the unit off and resets after a time if very humid conditions are present, but these heaters will not work properly under any conditions.

I did pull the cover off of the heater elements to clean out the @$%# red beatles that infest everything around here, but I wouldn't think that would cause any problems??

I appreciate the responses, please keep them coming.

If the heater is designed delicately enough so that just high humidity will shut it down, why do you think an infestation of beetles wouldn't have any effect? Even after you clean out the beetles, the dirt they left behind on the element is probably substantial enough to trip the safety shut-off...

We have a couple of Lakewood heaters, had one do that a couple of times. Does it do that on the low setting too? On one of ours the fan runs slow until it warms up. Maybe the bugs left enough $hit inside to cause a problem, could use some contact cleaner on it. Good luck!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back