Electronic ignition

Cash4Toys

Questions for those familiar with Electronic ignition systems. First off this is second hand information given to me. On a 44 MH, converted to 12v with alternator. This ran good several years ago. When turning over there is a hot spark from both distributer hold down clamps going upward to the plug wires, not just one clamp but both. At the same time it also has spark to the plugs. The coil in just a few minutes of cranking over, gets pretty warm, not burn your hand hot, but uncomfortable warm. I know nothing of these, so where does one begin? It sat because of carb issues, and so that not back on it just yet, so I just wanted him to confirm it had spark, so no it has not run yet.

Questions for those familiar with Electronic ignition systems. First off this is second hand information given to me. On a 44 MH, converted to 12v with alternator. This ran good several years ago. When turning over there is a hot spark from both distributer hold down clamps going upward to the plug wires, not just one clamp but both. At the same time it also has spark to the plugs. The coil in just a few minutes of cranking over, gets pretty warm, not burn your hand hot, but uncomfortable warm. I know nothing of these, so where does one begin? It sat because of carb issues, and so that not back on it just yet, so I just wanted him to confirm it had spark, so no it has not run yet.
Coils do in fact get pretty warm to the point you don't want to hold them. You should not get a spark at the hold down clamps and that says you have a bad cap

Coils do in fact get pretty warm to the point you don't want to hold them. You should not get a spark at the hold down clamps and that says you have a bad cap
That's what I was thinking but I do remember looking at that cap when I was there to get a few valves freed that were sticking and the cap looked new. I'll tell him to get one for it and go from their.

That's what I was thinking but I do remember looking at that cap when I was there to get a few valves freed that were sticking and the cap looked new. I'll tell him to get one for it and go from their.
A cap can look new but yet have a crack and due to water be shorted out. Learn that when I was 17 or 18 on a 1971 GMC truck we had that my dad kept trying to get a shop to fix. I finally figured out the problem by grabbing the cap as my dad tried to start it and got zapped

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back