Farmall 340 Power Steering Problem

Bookman

I have about a 1959 Farmall 340. When I went to use it today. the power steering would freeze up. I could not turn it left or right. The hydraulics works because the loader goes up and down and the rear hydraulics go up and down. If I work it enough, the power steering starts to work again. It seems to catch mid-center and then shudder a bit and then will go right or left. Seems to be plenty of hydraulics in the rear transmission. Any advice. Thnks

I would start with the simple things first. Have you checked the hydraulic oil level? When was the last time that you changed the hydraulic oil filter?

Upvote 0
Diagram
The power steering is using Hydraulic power from the Safety regulator and flow control valve. There is a priority valve there that diverts pressure to the steering wheel valve (under the dash) and on the shaft. The link takes you to the area, then select Hydraulic, then various steering components.
The issue could be a valve sticking in that unit, It could be a sticking component in the steering control system under the dash, or it could be an issue with gear teeth in the steering box. Jim Jim

Upvote 0
Diagram
The power steering is using Hydraulic power from the Safety regulator and flow control valve. There is a priority valve there that diverts pressure to the steering wheel valve (under the dash) and on the shaft. The link takes you to the area, then select Hydraulic, then various steering components.
The issue could be a valve sticking in that unit, It could be a sticking component in the steering control system under the dash, or it could be an issue with gear teeth in the steering box. Jim Jim
Thanks much. I suspect it is difficult to get parts for the gears in the steering box.

Upvote 0
Thanks much. I suspect it is difficult to get parts for the gears in the steering box.
Bearings and seals are available because they are commodity metric components bearing stores will have by number. Gears and shims are not to be found but can be adapted or welded up and remade. All painful. Jim

Upvote 0
Are you sure it is a row crop because the utility has a whole different power steering set up. Just saying because usually the row crop did not have problems'.
Definitely a Farmall 340 rowcrop widefront end with a loader on it. I have had since 1996. I looked up my records and the serial number is 6620, which makes it made in about December 1960. I checked this morning and I see when I turn the steering wheel, the front wheels move, but about half way through there is a catch and the front wheels go back to center a couple of inches and then continue to turn. That sure looks like a broke gear. Talked with my usual mechanic this morning, and he thinks so too. So I am now looking for parts at salvage yards. It is beyond me to repair. The loader has to be off, the front axle off, and probably radiator and sheet metal off. The gear is a worm gear part 371 016 R1. I suspect it will only be sold as part of the entire bolster assembly, if I am fortunate enough to find one. Its part number is 369 962 R21. Any leads appreciated. Located in Central Nebraska. Thanks

Attachments

• Larry Hardesty Tractor Collection Farmall 340 #1 July 10, 2013 007.jpg
    Larry Hardesty Tractor Collection Farmall 340 #1 July 10, 2013 007.jpg
    998.2 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Bearings and seals are available because they are commodity metric components bearing stores will have by number. Gears and shims are not to be found but can be adapted or welded up and remade. All painful. Jim
Yep, the gear is a worm gear part 371 016 R1. I suspect it will only be sold as part of the entire bolster assembly, if I am fortunate enough to find one. Its part number is 369 962 R21. Any leads appreciated. Located in Central Nebraska. Thanks

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back