Farmall 706 diesel head gasket from dealer is FelPro

andy r

Farmall 706 diesel with the 282 glow plug engine had been exchanging coolant and combustion gases. Number 2 cylinder was showing signs of coolant from below. Fire ring on # 2 and gasket materials looked compromised. Bought a new gasket Saturday and installed today. New OEM gasket from CaseIH dealer is a FelPro as per pictures below. $212.00. I did this head gasket 7 years ago and when cleaning the head Saturday I could see FelPro stained/imprinted from the old gasket. Of course it was the mirror image. Cleaned threads in block with bottoming tap. Checked bolts and lightly oiled before install. I was under the impression from many on here that an OEM from CaseIH would be a Victor gasket. Maybe it was several years ago.
cvphoto145140.jpg

cvphoto145141.jpg

Yes I know they are all felpro. There is no victor gaskets unless u find a new old stick one someplace from the 1970s once u get that gasket installed and retorqued spray it with soapy water from a squirt bottle and u will see the compression leaking out right through the gasket. Plus hell of a price for a junket gasket. The last victor gasket I got from old stock was 400.00 by the time I got it from the u s to Canada. That was last spring

Well i guess Felpro under bid Victor . For eions I H used Victor as every I H tractor i have been into had Victor . Once I H went Case I H or tennaco a lot of what use to be made by I H like the pistons sleeves and other pieces and parts were now let out to low bid ferms . Myself i got in with and engine parts Jobber for my engine parts for a whole lot less then I H was now charging . The only difference between what i was buying was the parts i was getting did not have the I H part numbers stamped in the head of the piston BUT had the same Casting Number and thru them i could get the A-B and C-D sleeves same as ya get from I H the only difference was about a 115 bucks EACH And there i got my gskt's and here you could get the cheap Consumer set or the OEM quality . I had my rounds with Felpro and each and everyone LEAKED , I know how to install a head and i know how to torque a head , i also have quality tools and keep my torque wrench in check by sending it out to be tested and certified . On the gassers i don't care how good the block was and how flat the head was They leaked , even when i lost composure and pulled a gas head down to diesel head spec. it still leaked . I use guide studs when setting a head to help keep things from moving . Had had many phone calls to Fel pro and some snot nose KID that even Admitted he had never worked on and engine in his life was telling me i was doing it wrong . So here is what i can tell you to try , Do the three step pull down and when ya thing your done go back over the six center bolts once again , Get your valves set and watch for as i call it Bridging where your feeler gauge is under the WHOLE rocker arm , When doing it this way your NOT getting a good valve set due to ware on the rocker arm as they all ware off to one side or the other . I personally use my little tune up feeler gauge as it had narrow blades and does a fine one time valve set Start the tractor and warm it up- to OPERATING temp by throwing a feed sack over the rad and let her get midway up to 2/3rd.'s on the gauge , The go back over them two three times then go back over the valve set . The only other thing as a COULD BE problem is either the block Sleeve height or your head Or the JUNK gskt. And myself i'd say JUNK GSKT. Now it has been a while since i talked with Ann at the warehouse so i can not say if ya can no longer get Victor . To be a jobber and deal there ya have to have the equipment to Do engine work and do it for a living . Or your reselling like the parts stores . I use to have four places to buy from but two closed down when the owners retired and nobody want to take over .

An interesting update on 560/706 diesel gaskets - An aftermarket gasket maker/supplier told me last week that there was an improved import gasket coming for the 560/706 diesel engine from across the ocean. He said the over seas supplier knew the gasket was made wrong and had changed something. He said the shipment was in a cargo box just off of an ocean going vessel. He antipicated it at the end of this week. With the warm weather in Iowa today I didn't want to wait. I didn't get a price. Another Farmall supplier just got in a new shipment of 560/706 diesel gaskets that have a loose fire ring like a pulling tractor might use. The price was going to be $395. He said they might be more on ebay. I know these will be posted on ebay eventually if not currently. I opted for the CaseIH store gasket.

I can not believe what they now want for a gskt , The whole COMPLETER major over haul gskt set use to be around 40 bucks. . Good god a 855 Cummins head set was only 67 , i kept them on stock and after the first time of a failed head Gskt out in mid state Ill. along side the road i put one in the luggage compartment in the sleeper along with my torque wrench . for the NEXT time i might not be as lucky to receive help from a good natured farmer .
I might have to say something to my accountant since he has a client that makes gskts as his business and made the gskt.s for the three Big pulling motors i built with dumpster diving parts . when you take busted Moline blocks that were broken inside the bores from water freezing inside and boring them out and stuffen in 855 Cummins sleeves one does not care and factory gskts. won't work This guy made us head gskts for all the dumpster dive , the one with the Cummins sleeves , the one with the Mack sleeves and the one we used the last six Big 401 GM engine Pistons in that were .040 over . I can tell ya this that once you ran the engine and it got some heat in it those gskt. were stuck on and god help ya if you had to pull that head off as it was NOT just going to POP OFF , you could lift the tractor off the ground and it would NOT come off ya had to drive stiff bladed putty knifes in all four corners and work your way around before it came off and there was NO scrapping off what was still stuck ya had to grind it off. . Built two running on gas and one diesel .

(quoted from post at 04:37:26 01/17/23) Victor no longer exists, they were bought by Mahle. Some are still the same, some are not.

I could've told the OP that the gasket from IH was going to be a FelPro, except a week ago everyone would have told me I was full of spit.

Wasn't but hardly a week ago that everyone was crowing about getting a Victor gasket. Not one mention that Victor no longer exists or the gaskets haven't been made by Victor in decades.

This post was edited by BarnyardEngineering on 01/17/2023 at 11:50 am.

(quoted from post at 12:49:39 01/17/23)
(quoted from post at 04:37:26 01/17/23) Victor no longer exists, they were bought by Mahle. Some are still the same, some are not.

I could've told the OP that the gasket from IH was going to be a FelPro, except a week ago everyone would have told me I was full of spit.

Wasn't but hardly a week ago that everyone was crowing about getting a Victor gasket. Not one mention that Victor no longer exists or the gaskets haven't been made by Victor in decades.

This post was edited by BarnyardEngineering on 01/17/2023 at 11:50 am.

Some "original cardboard and price" deere 6466 gaskets are also felpro.

i did tell him that,... that there was no victor available unless it was new old stock. i even said i bought the last 2 old stock victor ones
from olsons gaskets, for 400.00 each.

my advise with felpro, u cannot pull the engine under full load for too long. you probably get 3 years out of it on normal lighter use.

(quoted from post at 22:52:18 01/16/23) Farmall 706 diesel with the 282 glow plug engine had been exchanging coolant and combustion gases. Number 2 cylinder was showing signs of coolant from below. Fire ring on # 2 and gasket materials looked compromised. Bought a new gasket Saturday and installed today. New OEM gasket from CaseIH dealer is a FelPro as per pictures below. $212.00. I did this head gasket 7 years ago and when cleaning the head Saturday I could see FelPro stained/imprinted from the old gasket. Of course it was the mirror image. Cleaned threads in block with bottoming tap. Checked bolts and lightly oiled before install. I was under the impression from many on here that an OEM from CaseIH would be a Victor gasket.

Solid soft annealed copper gasket

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back