Farmall H PTO Behavior

The SN is from 1940, but it has a 1-3/8 PTO shaft. When disengaged, the shaft seems to turn freely about 130 degrees (sort of like freewheeling) then seems to engage teeth while continuing to rotate. I assume something is stripped. What would be most likely place for teeth to be stripped if this would be a symptom. Or perhaps this is just some bearing drag of some sort since its disengaged?? I'm not there but will investigate next trip. It does not yet run. Or could it be the engagement mechanism dragging part of the rotation cycle.
 
Before starting it, slowly remove the drain plugs for the rearend and the transmission and drain the water/condensation out. This may also help with the pto as the gears can rust and cause the roughness of the gears. The engagement is a small rod on the side of the pto, up engaged, down disengaged.
 
It does not yet run.
Curious what is the draw is to the PTO if it doesn’t run? Seems like the focus should be more on the opposite end where the engine is! Assuming when you say 1 3/8 PTO this means a later PTO has been swapped into this tractor. In this video it shows you the internal splines that engage the PTO at 2:15. Farmall H late PTO If the PTO mechanism on the back is flat and only the shaft sticks out then you have an early PTO. In the future I would recommend posting questions about your H on the Farmall/IH forum in the Manufacturers section, your outcome will be better there.
 
Curious what is the draw is to the PTO if it doesn’t run? Seems like the focus should be more on the opposite end where the engine is! Assuming when you say 1 3/8 PTO this means a later PTO has been swapped into this tractor. In this video it shows you the internal splines that engage the PTO at 2:15. Farmall H late PTO If the PTO mechanism on the back is flat and only the shaft sticks out then you have an early PTO. In the future I would recommend posting questions about your H on the Farmall/IH forum in the Manufacturers section, your outcome will be better there.
It was parked because dad said gears were stripped. I know it will run if I restore parts removed while my brother was working on the M. I'm checking the main things he said were the reason it was parked. We have 3 tractors in a cramped 30x40 barn. I'd like to sell one of them. The H is my preferred target but there's less chance if it has major issues. However, dad prefers the H to the M but he's unlikely to ever use them again.

It's not the flat PTO housing. This is the appearance.

1790878108983.png
 
Last edited:
What gears, the transmission to move the tractor? If so more like a clutch problem.
Of course. Dad is 87. He wasn't sure and may not remember correctly. I'm in the investigation stage. I already found part of the problem was the shift lever mechanism. The end of the shift lever was nearly worn straight. I welded a surface back on that approximates the original 3/4" dimensions. It now at least goes into the gears. Then I started checking the PTO and found some odd behavior. I live 1000 miles away and just go up for a week now and then. So I'm diagnosing at a disadvantage but trying to decide where might be the most productive focus for my next trip.
 
Last edited:
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top