Farmall H radiator mounting

drforsythe

New User
I have a 1949 H and and need to know in what order the radiator mounting hardware is installed.
The studs were broken and all the springs and washers were missing. Radiator is sitting on tractor frame where do I go from there. I have the hardware but need to know assembly.
Donnie Forsythe
Wake Forest NC

There should be a "chunk" of belting or some such material between the bottom of the radiator & the top of the front bolster. The radiator studs screw into "cap nuts" soldered into the bottom tank. The studs will go through the slotted holes in the bolster. Those slots are there to allow enough movement that allow the steering shaft to go through the hole in the top tank without touching anything.
Once that is properly lined up, go under the bolster. Each stud should have, in this order, a "fender" washer, properly sized for the stud and large enough that it covers all of the slot in the bolster. Then comes the spring, another smaller properly sized for the stud "fender" washer larger than the spring, the castle nut & finally the cotter key through the radiator stud to keep the nut from screwing itself off the stud. Have fun withvwhat I consider is the most miserable job you'll ever have while working on an H or an M.

(quoted from post at 12:35:41 11/24/20) I have a 1949 H and and need to know in what order the radiator mounting hardware is installed.
The studs were broken and all the springs and washers were missing. Radiator is sitting on tractor frame where do I go from there. I have the hardware but need to know assembly.
Donnie Forsythe
Wake Forest NC

HTH

From the H _ HV - TC-27D Parts Catalog:

mvphoto65444.jpg

mvphoto65445.jpg

I put in a replacement radiator for a 46 H from All states, Everything was just a little bit off. It was a miserable job. But it beat the crap out of going to work. old fisherman's adage, "a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work". Working on an old tractor can be miserable, but the sense of accomplishment makes it all worth while. gobble

Thanks for your response, Im not looking forward to this job but I only want do do it once. I am looking forward to the completion of this job.
Have a great Thanksgiving
Donnie

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back