Harryaroo

I recently acquired a Farmall H that has been sitting. I believe it was running when parked about twelve years ago. I'm going to need to find some rims... will rims from a M go an an H? Unfortunately someone removed the oil filler cap so straight water poured out of the oil pan when I opened it up. The transmission doesn't seem to be stuck. What would be your first step in freeing up the engine?

Pull the spark plugs. If any of them look like a rust flower prepare to pull the head. You will be pounding on some pistons. The thing about Farmalls is the pipe the muffler is on is threaded into the exhaust manifold. More often then not they as not sealed so water runs right down the outside of the muffler down the outside of the pipe past the threads and into the cylinders. If none of the plugs or inside the holes look rusty, which would be a 1 in a 100 there will be plenty of folks coming along with their miracle methods to free up a stuck engine.

I don't know if M rims will bolt onto H caste centers or not. I'm guessing that they likely would.
But, I do know this. The M's had wider rims than an H. They still were a 38 inch rim/tire. But most M's had a larger (wider) tire.

I'd try to find H rims if you can. Otherwise, you'll be putting something on that's not quite right. Or fix the ones you got (if you can). If it's just a rusted out valve stem hole, you can cut out the bad, and weld in a patch from another rim that the same thing happened to, and drill a new valve stem hole. That is, if you can't find some that don't have the same problem (that are good).

Hard to say what you got for an engine. Was sitting outside? Rain water through oil fill cap? It's hard to say what your going to be dealing with. Might want to figure out your engine problems, before figuring out your wheel issues?.

If engine will turn over with the hand crank (it's free), your road to making it run will be alot more simpler. But if it's froze up, you got a heck of a battle about to un-fold to making it run again. How bad it'll be, just depends on how locked up it is.

Fixing the wheels first, on this project, is like getting the cart before the horse.

Where do live? Maybe there is a good Farmall mechanic nearby who could help. Or maybe you are a good mechanic and will tackle it yourself.

Northern Maine-- not a lot of mechanics left who work on stuff like that-- a few. I'm a farmer so a mechanic of sorts. I'll be the one working on it.

Yes the M rims will fit the H wheels. But,trailer it. Then you can just pull it up on the cast wheels. They will still roll...First,grab the fan and see if you turn it. Then pull the plugs. Pull the valve cover to inspect and chech for stuck valves.Then you will know what you have.Who knows,you might get lucky. If it's free,just pour in some gas and a battery and it might fire. Seen it happen. Or it could be a boat anchor,or any place between.

I would take the oil pan off and have a look inside the block. If everything up to the oil filler hole has been sitting water for 10 years there may not be much that will be reusable. Especially if no oil came out with the water. If there is not a lot of pitting on the rods, main caps, crank, and the distributor, oil pump and oil ways are not full of rust, it might be worth trying to fix.

If it looks too bad, try to find another motor for it. You'll probably have to rebuild that one too but there is no sense in trying to save it unless it has real sentimental value.

With all the H's there are in the country I'd walk and find one in running condition unless this one has some special meaning to it.

For rims Id go here , what I did . Probably got 100 new ones of them at half the price . Thats picked up ,you will have to ship to Maine so your locals may be better choice .
(717) 656-9876 huge place you might have to call three or four times to get an answer ,dont give up. One guy in five acres of rims ,who knows where they are when you call.
Wenger systems
264 voganvillle road, new holland ,pa.
Suggest your split that tractor and invest gate clean everything, everywhere in the motor stripped down to make sure it is to blueprint,
Good luck ,lets know what you find ,

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back