Farmall M Engine Kits?

In the 20 years I have posted here the Kits supplied by YT and therefore PartsASAP have a good reputation for correctness and durability. The only USA choice would be NOS from unknown sources. Jim

Somebody on here should buy that sleeve kit because it would be worth $2,000 in entertainment value.
"How to free up your stuck engine before it's actually a complete engine".
I am all for the red, white and blue but he is going to have a tough time finding these. If he would bore it to fit Super M sleeves here is an option, would probably want to see the “Made in USA” before plopping the green backs.
Super M sleeve kit
Again nothing against USA made stuff and I realize that is mostly piece of mind while he is the owner. When it passes to the next owner, she won’t be worth a nickel more.
The problem is he will never offset the flood gate from Walmart, Harbor Freight, Dollar General and the majority of other merchandisers. The bigger problem is what can we really do about it?

I realize that there is nothing I can do about other people buying Chinese. My own personal choice is to put in the effort searching for ways not to, even if it costs me much more time and money. I only wish more people did the same, that would be something we could do about it.

I realize that there is nothing I can do about other people buying Chinese. My own personal choice is to put in the effort searching for ways not to, even if it costs me much more time and money. I only wish more people did the same, that would be something we could do about it.
In this case it's not about choosing USA over China. It's a matter of lack of demand. The market for overhauling old tractor engines has really dropped off. These old tractors don't get used enough anymore to wear out the engines. Most of the tractors that needed to be overhauled have been overhauled. Just not many people willing to fork out the money to do an overhaul anymore. Things have to get pretty bad before these tractors won't do the job anymore, and it's usually cheaper and easier to buy another tractor.

I doubt anyone's even actively manufacturing overhaul kits right now. Someone had a factory in China make a sea can or three of M engine parts years ago, and we've been working off that supply. When those run out they may not get more made, ever. Depends on how long it took to sell what they did have and how long it took for them to get their money back.

Lot of people down on Chinese stuff and there are some obvious reasons…. But there’s lots of good stuff out there too… arguably one of the better batteries out there is AC-Delco … made in China. Group 35S is consistently about $85 at auto-zone; I’ve been converting equipment wherever possible to this size just for the sake of keeping fewer different batteries around.
Machine technology has advanced in a huge way since these tractors were built. Much nicer stuff being turned out. Take a look at the valve reliefs on a genuine IH piston out of a D-236. Looks like they were cut with an end mill that should have been replaced about 300 pistons ago. Chinese pistons? All machine work a mirror finish. But I suppose the Harbor Freight stigma will always be there.

There used to be companies that custom manufactured kits mostly for racing and performance. They also upon demand built kits for farm tractor applications. Many years ago they were like 3X the price of what companies like Central Tractor charged for mass produced kits from companies such as Clevite. Maybe you could google and see what companies are out there that build kits and what their price would be. Unless your M has an attachment such as being a family tractor maybe the most cost effective method might be to find an engine out of another M known to be in better condition. If it does not need to be original then an engine from a Super M, 400, or similar source will work.

There used to be companies that custom manufactured kits mostly for racing and performance. They also upon demand built kits for farm tractor applications. Many years ago they were like 3X the price of what companies like Central Tractor charged for mass produced kits from companies such as Clevite. Maybe you could google and see what companies are out there that build kits and what their price would be. Unless your M has an attachment such as being a family tractor maybe the most cost effective method might be to find an engine out of another M known to be in better condition. If it does not need to be original then an engine from a Super M, 400, or similar source will work.

So I’m ready to to an engine rebuild on my M. Are there any engine rebuild parts/kits that are not Chinese?
Don't know how up to date this website is but it has several choices. Weber's tractor works. Bought P&S sets in the past from there and no problems. Be aware some sets will use a smaller piston pin than what was standard when built and some will have the standard pin size. Small pin ones require adapter bushing in rod end. This late in time it would be a tossup on what size you have.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back