farmall M help building BIG motor !

boot

New User
Hi, new here, but it looks like a great place to be.
I have a lot of engine building experience ( cars, trucks, boats etc.) But this M, I don't know what we can get away with. Budget is reasonable. Horse power is critical ! :twisted:
I believe the M is 248 cubic inch. Its distillate, low compression. It has a big hump on top of the piston. Looks like we need an LP head. How much can be shaved off that to raise compression? Willing to have ported and bigger valves installed. How much can you deck the block? Someone mentioned boring the block and installing larger sleeves from the 450 gas (280 inch) ? Is that right? Or bore it out and have custom sleeves and pistons made even bigger? Will have a cam made for it. LP manifolds also ported. And then what to do with carb?

We want to go big. Big cubic inch ( 300 in. ?) high compression (10 to1 or more), port everything, balance everything, slick coat everything, cryo the crank for strength, make a copper head gasket (thin) etc.

Any suggesions would be great. But please don't guess..

Thanks, Joe

Joe,wow , you sound like your wanting some serious power, I am not a fan of domed pistons for what you want, You can deck the block a quite a bit if, u have the right piston! Have you seen Denny Carb Shop,Tractor products. You can get pistons from him to run in the dry holes on a M, that will give you 306 cu in. You have to use the smaller wrist pins, but that's not a problem. He got a web siter! have fun!

Joe, Owen Aaland is very sharp guy, but as far as i know those M @ W 1/2 inch stroker kits are all gone!And if you dont have the M @ W, crank they will eventually break the webbing out of the block !But if u want some serious power find a 450 IH diesel block, or any of the md blocks on up, then u have 5 main bearings, where the gas engine only had 3 mains. Yea i know its a lot of work changing therm over to gas, buts its been done, Just depends on how much money u want to spend! Have fun

If you want horsepower, get a Keystone turbo. That will give you a lot more power with a stock engine.

www.keystoneturbollc.com

Well if you want to GO BIG , just how big do you want to go ?? Sleeves for get them unless you bore into the water jacket . Copper head gskt for get it and go with O/Rings and fire rings . As for a stroker crank here ya weld up and off set grind and ya start looking for a connecting rod that will work with what piston you decide to use with the bore you can get and once you figure out your pin setting in the piston to the compression distance then you can grind the crank to fit the rod . . Now as dropping your money at Denny's Carb shop it is your money but he is a RIP OFF . To start with ya need a progressive engine size book and you can go blind looking at all the spec.'s on ever engine part ever made and it will give a part Number for each sized part , pistons rings valves springs bearings you name it it is in there . The engines i have put together non of the parts that went into it did not come across the dealers part contour . One 4 cyl. M M engine that started life as a 335 Cu. In. when done was 609 Cu. in with real close to 13 to 1 NTC-855 Cummins sleeves , Allison 5.560 pistons farmall M rods John Deere valves . and from the outside it looked stock . On one other we used Massey rods and Mack sleeves and GMC V-6 pistons . One thing about building a tractor engine your not going to be spending a lot of time at Summit or Jeg.'s your not building a Small block Chebby .

It would be easier and cheaper to put a more
powerful engine in than to make lots of hp with a m
block and head , just my opinion RD450 ? C301?

Don't know what you intend to do with tractor. But if you want big go to the pulling forum and look for stroker cranks and other parts suppliers. Or just ask where they get parts and work done.
They are building engines over twice the cubic inches you stated.
Going to need $$$$$$ though.

Go over to the pulling Forum and ask.
Gary Baker is REAL good with the Farmalls! And he will steer you in the right direction.

My buddy has a 450 LP in Tx he would sell for about $1800. Engine runs good. It would be a good starting engine for you.
Plus you would get the propane head too.

(quoted from post at 11:28:21 02/09/15)
My buddy has a 450 LP in Tx he would sell for about $1800. Engine runs good. It would be a good starting engine for you.
Plus you would get the propane head too.

Can i get some pictures emailed?

[email protected]

Thanks

(quoted from post at 21:44:10 02/08/15) Well if you want to GO BIG , just how big do you want to go ?? Sleeves for get them unless you bore into the water jacket . Copper head gskt for get it and go with O/Rings and fire rings . As for a stroker crank here ya weld up and off set grind and ya start looking for a connecting rod that will work with what piston you decide to use with the bore you can get and once you figure out your pin setting in the piston to the compression distance then you can grind the crank to fit the rod . . Now as dropping your money at Denny's Carb shop it is your money but he is a RIP OFF . To start with ya need a progressive engine size book and you can go blind looking at all the spec.'s on ever engine part ever made and it will give a part Number for each sized part , pistons rings valves springs bearings you name it it is in there . The engines i have put together non of the parts that went into it did not come across the dealers part contour . One 4 cyl. M M engine that started life as a 335 Cu. In. when done was 609 Cu. in with real close to 13 to 1 NTC-855 Cummins sleeves , Allison 5.560 pistons farmall M rods John Deere valves . and from the outside it looked stock . On one other we used Massey rods and Mack sleeves and GMC V-6 pistons . One thing about building a tractor engine your not going to be spending a lot of time at Summit or Jeg.'s your not building a Small block Chebby .

Wow, thanks. Can we talk about this? Email me a number to call.

[email protected].

Joe

I do not have a working E/Mail anymore due to Hot mail's requirement of some stupid pass codes that i did not get . So dead E/mail , like i could really give a rat's behind . I do have a face book thing.

Thanks everyone ! This is a great start. The tractor has to look 100% stock it goes to a lot of shows. We just want it to run better !!! :twisted: maybe pull something. No turbos, blowers or nitrous , yet...

Want to go big but don't want to snap the crank or the block. Talked to Denny's , 350 cubes with their pistons,rings, sleeves, pins. $599. But iIl have to stroke our crank to 6" from 5.25 ! That sounds shakey .
Also put in an email to m&w. That's the one in Australia ? See what they say. If its the right one....

Thanks again. With your help, this might actually work !

Joe

(quoted from post at 11:54:20 02/09/15) I do not have a working E/Mail anymore due to Hot mail's requirement of some stupid pass codes that i did not get . So dead E/mail , like i could really give a rat's behind . I do have a face book thing.

tried tractor vet and tractor guru and got nothing. What's it under? Or would you mind calling me?
908-963-2513 cell, joe

(quoted from post at 12:01:15 02/09/15)

Thanks everyone ! This is a great start. The tractor has to look 100% stock it goes to a lot of shows. We just want it to run better !!! :twisted: maybe pull something. No turbos, blowers or nitrous , yet...

Want to go big but don't want to snap the crank or the block. Talked to Denny's , 350 cubes with their pistons,rings, sleeves, pins. $599. But iIl have to stroke our crank to 6" from 5.25 ! That sounds shakey .
Also put in an email to m&w. That's the one in Australia ? See what they say. If its the right one....

Thanks again. With your help, this might actually work !

Joe

M&W now makes hay rakes and assorted other farm implements. No one there has any knowledge of that company ever building performane improving tractor parts.

Vollbracht's in Columbus Nebraska make oversize pistons and stroker kits for the Farmall M.

I don't have any personal experience with Denny's, but I have heard what a LOT of others had to say about their experience with Denny's Carb Shop, and none of it was good.

Mine is 368 cubic inch. 6 1/2 stroke and 4 1/4 bore. Pretty
small compared to today's standard. Call Gary Baker or
murphys motor service. The biggest I have heard of was 692
cubic inch. Nothing money won't buy.

I am in pa. Bob is in Texas. The tractor is there. Call him at 325-202-2116. I don't think he has a computer, but he does know how to send phone pics. Pic won't tell you much about an LP 450 though.

Oh you guys are really good and helping a guy spend money ! Guess I should be careful what I ask for around here ! :D thanks .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back