Farmhand wheel rake

R Bruce

I have an old Farmhand 4 wheel 3ph rake. I've never used one, is it worth fixing up to put in service vs a side delivery rake?

Everybody is going to have a different opinion on this, depending on what kind of hay is being raked and the terrain it is being used on. I had 3 point Gehl (rebranded Vicon) wheel rake at one time. It swept up 2nd and 3rd cut wonderfully. It raked fertilized, heavy first cut but tended to make wads in the windrows. Lighter first cut like unfertilized meadow hay it worked fine. It followed uneven ground well, BUT in some fields would pull every little stick and stone up into the windrow. It did not do corners well. It was cheap to own, easy to maintain and had no tires to go flat.

If that's one of those that had the spring tines bolted around a steel wheel, it's not near as good as the ones with the tines that go all the way to the center of the wheel. They tend to just tip back and slide over the hay. I had a New Idea like that. I've got a Gehl now with the tines all the way to the middle. Totally different machine and results.

I have one. 3 wheels mounted on the front.Used mainly for flipping wet windrows.Does a great job.In answer to your question,yes it's worth fixing and useing.

Having raked about 40 acres already this year with my new 3ph. rotary rake, I would never go back to a wheel rake or a bar rake. That being said, it is worth fixing so you can trade it and your bar rake for a rotary.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back