Farming Simulator Video Game

Bill VA

I work with a guy that is into these video games. I?m told people spend hours and hours playing them and go so far as taking videos and posting on YouTube. So I had a look-see and it?s amazing how many videos are out there of folks playing these video games and one of them is a game called Farming Simulator. Don?t know if anyone here plays that game, but it looks very popular.

The video below is our answer to Farming Simulator, only in higher definition. Viewer warning, video contains some lodged and washed hay...
Farming Simulator HD...

Our kids play them sometimes, it?s not overly true to life in the way of mostly big new equipment and not usually big acreage but it?s neat to see them interested in farming on some level. The equivalent is really nice too.

My kids grew up playing John Deere, American Farmer. It was pretty much the only computer game I allowed them to play.

My soon-to-be 13 year old son loves playing Farming Simulator. The business case for his operation would be tough (make that impossible) to justify in the real world but he has fun with it.

I?m very familiar with Farming Simulator, I have 13, 17, and my favorite 19. There are some things that aren?t realistic, but a lot of I is similar to the real world. And depending on how you play, you can be a small farmer, or a big one. For me I?d much rather be driving a real tractor, but when I?m at my family?s house in the city this is the next best thing. I almost don?t want admit how many hours I play, collectively I think I?ve played 1500-2000 hours, maybe a little more. I can be the farmer on there that I can?t in the real world. It?s a great game!

I play it off and on when I am stuck indoors. They have mod files that people create where you can add vehicles/equipment and maps (farms) that do not come stock with the games. You can even convert old mod vehicles/equipment/maps from the old games to the newest versions and customize them to your liking. That is what I started doing because I wanted certain mods from older games and I wanted them customized to my liking.

Alot of people would set the tractors to "Roll Coal" and I have ALWAYS thought that looked and is stupid so I go in and change things like that.

For all of those who rag on kids for playing it let me tell you this: I taught myself how to find, edit, convert and get into the nitty gritty of those files and lines of "code" to make them do what I wanted. I learned things that school and college never taught me and I think it truly has helped me in life especially when dealing with computers and files in the professional world. I actually think it is fun playing around in those mod files and getting the tractor or combine that I wanted. It takes a lot of trial and error but most times you come out with something in the end.

...But I will get off my soap box and get to the fun stuff: Pictures!
cvphoto3936.jpg

cvphoto3937.jpg

cvphoto3938.jpg

cvphoto3939.jpg

cvphoto3940.jpg

cvphoto3942.jpg

cvphoto3943.jpg

cvphoto3944.jpg

cvphoto3945.jpg

cvphoto3946.jpg

Is all that equipment yours? It's a wide range of equipment is why I ask. Almost looks like two separate farms. Great video and nice equipment. Looks like good help too.

My youngest son is an avid player of that game. He calls me from time to time to ask what a certain piece of equipment is that he can buy and how it will help his operation.

Is the gear box an option for Xbox? I like using the Xbox controller better than the keyboard.

I am not sure. I use PC but it seems to me that the gearbox mod is pretty prominent so I would assume it is for console. You'll have to do a search.

They don't have every kind of transmission ever made but they have enough that you can pretend for the tractors that don't. I like down shifting to get that extra "lug" when plowing or with a big load going up hill.

I just checked and the wired xbox controller does work on the PC version of the game. The gearbox mod also works with the controller however you run into the problem of not having enough controller buttons to run the normal stuff and the gearbox functions! Guess Ill just have to buy that table mounted button setup!

I?ve been known to play it some. Usually those times when I am stuck somewhere I don?t want to be, like on an airplane. Even beyond the mods/coding, it is good business experience. Buy/sell, which crops return the best, getting things done when it is time to do them.

A game I don?t mind the kids wanting to play. No blood guts gore...

?Is all that equipment yours? It's a wide range of equipment is why I ask. Almost looks like two separate farms. Great video and nice equipment. Looks like good help too.?

Yes all of the equipment is mine. It?s all on the same farm. Thx!

Bill

Connor, I noticed in your picture that it looks like you don?t have the seasons mod. That?s my favorite mod. If you haven?t tried it, I really recommend that you do.
Thanks for the info on the gear change mod, I?ll have to look into that more.

I do have the seasons mod with Midwest specialty. I spend most of my time tweaking tractors so I don?t fire up seasons for that.

Thanks!

(quoted from post at 09:40:05 02/02/20) Is the gear box an option for Xbox? I like using the Xbox controller better than the keyboard.
know a LOT of games support gamepads in Windows 10. I did some searching online (used Bing) and it seems you can use your XBone controller on your PC to play Farming Simulator 17. You might even prefer using a racing wheel or joystick over a controller.

I doubt you can install mods on a Xbone

I'd like to have a pc powerful enough to run the new MS Flight Sim. The graphics look amazing

I used to play "SimFarm" some 20 years ago! Didn't take long to figure out that the quickest way to make a profit was to raise strawberries!

He?s got a JD 3pt pto side rake! You don?t see them everyday. That?s the only side rake we had. Went behind a S55 Oliver and later a 1520 or 4600 Ford. It was handy as far a changing up speeds. For some reason I had a tendency to doze off running that thing. Don?t know why. I could cultivate corn all day without that problem.

I play it. Bryce who I used to see around here got me hooked several years ago. I questioned how realistic it was and his review made me try it and I was hooked.

You can get a ton of extra tractors if you play on a PC. I play on an Xbox so the "extras" are limited, but it's a fun way to burn through a boring afternoon in the winter.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back