Feeling a little proud here

jd2cyl1943

I just finished rebuilding the magneto for my JD B. I did have few issues with the bushings, but we figured it out. After getting it together, I did have an issue with not creating spark, but I fixed that and now it sparks every time. I made an attachment for my drill and ran it up to a fairly high rpm and it was functioning perfectly, so I can't help but feel a little proud. I have before and after pics below. Also, this mag is not original to my tractor, as the first one was lost to a shed fire before I got the B.
DSC01655.JPG
CIMG0055.JPG
DSC01657.JPG
CIMG0051.JPG

I just finished rebuilding the magneto for my JD B. I did have few issues with the bushings, but we figured it out. After getting it together, I did have an issue with not creating spark, but I fixed that and now it sparks every time. I made an attachment for my drill and ran it up to a fairly high rpm and it was functioning perfectly, so I can't help but feel a little proud. I have before and after pics below. Also, this mag is not original to my tractor, as the first one was lost to a shed fire before I got the B.
View attachment 60923View attachment 60926View attachment 60924View attachment 60925
Nice and tidy. Does the impulse coupling work (snaps loud when turned slow? Jim

View attachment 60923View attachment 60926View attachment 60924View attachment 60925
GREAT job!

You took on a project that many on here are scared of (and send them out) and succeeded in getting it working!

I took one for a B to an 81 year old friend a few weeks ago.
It had no spark.
In a few hours, it had spark that would reach out and grab you.

That’s probably the nicest looking wico c I’ve seen in a long time. So many of those were thrown away and had an x slapped on. Had one last year I had to toss it was so corroded myself. Great job! It might not be the original but it is the original type

Great job and congratulations on tackling it yourself! As stated, not a lot of us will try to do that on our own. My first time was when I had one go down on my 44 A and decided I needed to look into it myself. Quickly found it was a broken impulse spring, ordered a replacement and soon had it working again. I took a piece of 1/4" steel, cut a hole for the coupling to fit through and a couple of nuts welded on over drilled holes for attaching the mag and drilled another hole and welded on a collar with a set screw to hold a spark plug and I had a test stand that I can clamp in my vise to work on them. This allows me to spin them over by hand and observe the spark in the plug while doing so. Now I pick up mags at auctions whenever I can and get them working again.

That mag looks very good and sounds like it works too! Ron MN

My first [and only] magneto experience was when I was in high school. I bought a late JD B with cultivators for $50. The tractor had no spark. I took the magneto off, took it home and diligently cleaned and polished every fractional inch of it. To test it, I rigged a short wire from one of the spark plug terminals and I used an open end wrench to spin the mag. That blasted thing shocked the socks off of me and I dropped it on the ground. I thought that I had ruined the mag, but no - I bolted it back on the tractor and it started on the first roll. I used that old B for several years on our little farm. It was a hot running little tractor. I traded that B and two A's for a JD 50, and I later learned that a subsequent owner of the B was killed at some kind of tractor competition - maybe a slow race contest? He was on the ground and the old B ran over him. Good/bad memories all combined.

You have every right to feel proud. Well done Andrew.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back