Fluid filled tires?

Smiles79

I was working on my new to me TO20 and noticed the tires looked low, so I went to fill them. When I took the valve stem cap off one side I heard air leaking out and what I thought was water sputtering out as well. On the other side, I took the valve stem cap off and a solid stream of a murky white liquid was coming out.

You'll have to excuse me as I'm new to the tractor world, are these tires fluid filled? If so, how do you pressurize the tire if there's fluid in it?

Also, do these valve stems not work like on my truck, where the Schrader valve needs to be depressed for anything to come in or out, or are these just bad?

Thanks!

It is common practice for rear tires on tractors to be filled
with fluid for weight. Usually they are filled
(approximately) to a level even with the uppermost
portion of the metal rim so the tire above that is still filled
with air. When adding air (to achieve the correct
pressure) the wheel should be rotated so the valve stem
is at the very top. The fluid is most commonly a calcium
chloride solution (which doesnt freeze and weighs
roughly double what water does) which is a salt and very
corrosive towards metal. Any spillage should be washed
off. The valve stems are similar to those in regular
vehicles and should not be leaking. The difference is the
outer portion can (usually) be replaced as well as the
inner portion if it isnt too badly corroded.

The stem should have the same Schrader valve inside the core housing as your truck. If you had fluid or air coming out when you removed the core housing cap, the Schrader valve has failed. It is not uncommon for the fluid to corrode the Schrader valve leading to leakage. You might be able to replace it, you might be able to replace the entire core housing, or you might end up needing to replace the tube. (I am guessing your TO20 has tube tires.) Below are some pictures of a TR218A liquid fill tube stem to help you ID what you have.

mvphoto100577.gif

mvphoto100578.jpg

mvphoto100579.jpg

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 12/21/2022 at 04:06 am.

Sounds like I might have two problems then; and overfilled tire and leaking valve stems? Should I still run 15psi or so in the rear tires?

I assume I can just let the one tire drain until it stops when the valve stem is at the top?

+1 get the stem to the top of the tire and replace the stem as that will be your long term fix (might as well figure on replacing the outer and inner stems both). If you don't want the tires weighted (weight helps for plowing fields or snow but makes for tractor hauling on a trailer to parades and shows more difficult) then you could drain it all, but that is a lot of salt so you'll want to capture it.

The 'parts tractor' 58-MF35 I bought that I converted into 'a runner' came with windshield washer fluid in the tires that some use. More expensive option than chloride but less corrosive, however a lower density than salt. I still think there is a leaky stem I need to replace on that though.

The latest advancement in weighted tire fluid is sugar beet juice remains from the sugar beet factories after extracting the sugar. Most expensive, but some say it's 'the best' for tires (weight and non-corrosive). I think it's purple but don't know if it stains when spilled or just washes away. Most environmentally friendly option.

12 should do it just fine.
CaCl weighs in at 12.5 pounds per gallon.
Water weighs in at 8.35 pounds per gallon.
Beet Juice/Rim Guard weighs in around 10 pounds per gallon.

"Sounds like I might have two problems then; and overfilled tire and leaking valve stems? ..."

When servicing/replacing the valve component(s), you need to jack up that corner of the tractor and take the weight off the wheel and have the stem at the top of the rotation. It's unlikely your tire is overfilled.

If the weight of the tractor is on the tire (not jacked up) when you remove the valve the tire will go flat on the bottom as the air and fluid come out. Jack it up and the fluid will only come out down to the top of the rim, where the stem is to be located, which is the proper level for fluid. Also, with fluid filled tractor tires you should use a low-pressure gauge made for filled tires, calcium can destroy regular gauges.

Th milky white liquid is CaCi. Keep it, it is the best weight you can put in a
tire. My tractors are both older than yours and Dad had it put in when tractor
was 2 years old and was in for over 70 years before I had to replace rims due
to rust. And that was because I could not due the work to replace the stems.
That tractor is a 44 Ford. My other tractor is a 41 Ford bought about 20 years
ago with new rims and no fluid in the tires and one of the first things I had
done was getting them filled with CaCi. I had a TO-30 for a few years in the
late 60's and it had CaCi.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back