Ford 3000 Distributor Spring Clip Position?

vtford800

Hi all, I'm buying a 3000 gas tractor that won't start. It had been "worked on" by the owner's friend, who pulled the distributor, and then replaced it after moving dist gear.

I've figured that problem out (among many others), and the spark wires now have to go to a different position on the dist cap than original, in order to maintain proper 1-2-3 firing order.

I can time it that way, but I'm thinking of pulling the dist body off again and restoring it to the original proper order on the dist cap. The cap is marked with a number "1" at the terminal which now is going to the number 3 cylinder.

My biggest pain in the neck right now is that the dist cap clips are positioned so that one of them is at the back of the distributor under the manifold, and nearly impossible to get to.

I'm wondering if this can be changed to be more accessible?

If you have a 3000, how are your dist cap clips arranged? are they like mine now -- nearly impossible to get to the one in back?

Thanks!

If it's running now then there will always be one connector at the back side under the manifold. I have a 3 cylinder 4000, which is the same engine with a different bore and stroke and I can get to all of the plug wires at the distributor, but it is tight. I don't have to access them very often, just to replace them every 5 to 7 years, but I could see how repeatedly accessing them to troubleshoot an ignition problem might get frustrating.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like pulling the distributor out and rotating to suit the original wire order won't change the position of the darn cap clips -- they are still going to be arranged one in front and one hidden in back -- right?

Well so much for that hope........ Okay, next....the steel dist vacuum line also makes work in this area difficult. It's all bent up like a roller coaster track.

Is it possible to cut that to long stubs at both ends and clamp in a section of rubber automotive style vacuum hose? Or is that going to mess with the advance?

Seems like cars need faster throttle response than a tractor does -- and they use rubber vac hoses....is that really going to be a problem on the 3000?

Use a long screwdriver to position the back clip out of the way, replace the dist cap then use the long screwdriver to clip it in position.

I thought of pulling the whole dist, but after replacing the cap about 14 times over three days I got good at it.

I also learned the rotor turns counterclockwise.

That's what I did in the end. I really needed a lot of light to see that back clip well enough to get the screwdriver on it right. When I first tried it it was in a shed with no electricity. Moving it outside has made a big difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back