Ford 3600 Gearbox removal

NJA

New User
Hello. I have been given a Ford 3600 with cab,(1978). Engine going well. The tractor would not move on its own. It could be towed, even when in gear and foot off clutch. I thought it was a clutch issue so I split the tractor. (I am a hobby mechanic with cars so this is my first tractor). However, it does not now look like the clutch. The shaft for PTO and gearbox spin freely even when in gear and wheels on ground. Thus I suspect it is possibly shaft into gearbox has broken. Firstly, has anyone had this problem? Secondly what is the easiest way to take gearbox off? (I live in Northern Ireland). Thanks.

The transmission casing is an integral part of the structure of the tractor. To remove the transmission completely you need to do a double split, between the engine and transmission, and between the transmission and rear axle center housing.

Your going to have to do a double split and that requires removing the cab
Those transmissions are pretty robust and normally when you break something inside they get pretty noisy
I'm wondering if you broke the coupler the connects the trans output to the pinion gear
Still requires a split to repair

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back